Chapter 15: No Problem

Dick Grayson

"Wishes bounce me weightless. The infrared scope of pointlessness. The bulls are sedated and this fights fixed." All the around the room, the boxes started to vibrate. Catalina's head whipped around the room, like mine and she pressed her shoulder into mine.

"What's going on? Stop!" She yelled at the Music Maker. The Music Maker smirked and continued. Catalina's hands, that were still holding the gun, started to drop as she continued to watch the shaking boxes. Now that we were on the ground floor I could see words printed on the side of each box. The small boxes read, The Father. The Medium boxes read The Son, and the large boxes were labeled The Holy Ghost. The men around the werehouse were getting over their shock and starting to raise their weapons at us again. Chipped Tooth, the guy who had found us on the catwalk, started to squeeze his trigger.

"Get down!" I grabbed Catalina's hand and jerked her down and behind a stack of boxes. Bullets began to spark around us. Catalina covered her head with her arms and began to shake. "Hey!" I grabbed her hands and forced her to look at me. "It's going to be ok, alright? I promise, I'm going to get you out of here." She yelped as a small box nearby to us exploded. "Do you understand?" She nodded, tears streaming down her face. She glanced behind me and her eyes widened. She lunged forward, tackling me to the ground as bullets ripped through the air above us. Then she sumersalted off of me and behind another stack of boxes.

"AIM FOR THEM, YOU IDIOTS! NOT THE BOXES! HIDING WON'T HELP YOU, CHILDREN!" The Music Maker screamed, interrupting her singing momentarily. Her song continued in full force and Catalina and I moved to the next stack of boxes, towards the ladder to the catwalk. The men were still firing at us, but taking closer heed of the boxes. They would fire as we moved, but they would stop as soon as we ducked behind the wooden structures.

"I think they're closing in every time they stop." Catalina gasp, clutching her side. I grabbed her arm.

"Are you good? Are you hit?" She shook her head, smiling wearly.

"No, stitch. Come on, we're almost home free." She darted ahead to the next stack, leaving me behind.

"Shouldn't have said that." I muttered. Turns out, I was right. Catalina was leaned up against the boxes, breathing hard when the Music Maker changed the tune of the song, jerking up to a sudden high note. The boxes all around Catalina exploded and black objects flew through the air. Catalina screamed, and managed to crawl out from under the wreckage and behind the next stack of boxes. The Music Makers song had ended and she started to laugh. I sprinted over to Catalina and dropped down into a crouch next to her. She was cursing and holding her right arm gingerly. "What happened?" She shook her head.

"No clue. All that crap exploded and something burned me. Like searing, branding burn." I nodded, grabbing her hand.

"I'll look at it when we get out of here. Come on." She nodded and got to her feet. We got ready and then bolted for the ladder. We hit the ladder and she scambered up the rusty rungs, wincing as the gunfire picked up again. I was right behind her and when we hit the catwalk, she scrambled on her hands and knees over to the window and dropped out of sight. I took one last look over the railing down at the music maker. She winked at me and said one word.

"Enjoy." Then I shoved the window open and dropped down the pavement. Catalina reached out for my hand again and we took off running. It was clear neither of us knew where we were going, but both of us wanted as much distance between us and that warehouse. Finally, she slowed down, tipping both of us and we rolled to a stop. We laid there, breathing hard, her on top of me. After a while, she rolled over and kissed my cheek.

"Thanks." She muttered, resting her head on my chest again.

"What for?" I asked, looking down at her. She sighed.

"I told you I would make it up to you if we got in trouble. I'm pretty sure I got you in the most trouble ever today." I smirked.

"Don't be so sure. Let me see where you got burned." We sat up and she peeled her leather jacket off and pulled her shirt over her head. She was wearing a black sports bra but I could see the burn. A burn in the shape of a music note on her right shoulder blade. I placed my hand on her back, looking for anymore injuries. She tensed up under my touch. "How does it look?" She asked, in a strangely strangled voice. I nodded, even though she couldn't see.

"It looks ok. You'll live." She pulled her shirt and jacket back on and turned to face me. She grabbed my shirt and pulled me into a kiss. My eyebrows shot up in surprise but I didn't pull away. She did though and then she jumped to her feet.

"Thanks again. You know, for saving my life and everything."

"No problem." I breathed as she ran away.