Chapter 14: Then The Music Maker Started To Sing

Catalina Kyle

We both wheeled around and I cussed under my breath. The muzzle of a rifle was pointed at both of us. Dick moved, putting himself between me and the gun. The man standing over us was in tack gear and grinning, displaying a chipped tooth right next to a gold one. His eyes flicked over Dick and rested on me. My stomach contracted with disgust at the look that filled his eyes. He kept the gun trained on us as he stepped closer to the railing and called out to the woman on the throne. "Hey boss! We have visitors!" The woman shot to her feet.

"What!?!" The man reached over and jerked me to my feet. His grip was stronger then I had expected and I yelped, out of pain or fear, I have no idea. The man jutted his gun at Dick and he stood up wearily. Anger flared up in the woman's face, but then a calm mask replaced it and she smiled. "How did you two get in?" Dick and I exchanged looks and he gave the tiniest jerk of his head. We both looked down at her, not answering. Her grin remained but a cold look entered her eyes. "Bring them down here." We started to move forward and I felt the cold muzzle of the rifle press into my lower back. I felt the blood drain from my face as the man leaned forward and whispered into my ear.

"Faster please, beautiful." I scoffed in disgust and Dick shoved the gun away.

"Don't touch her." He growled and wrapped his arm around my waist so the gun couldn't return. I'll admit, I tensed up when Dick touched me but he was trying to protect me so I wasn't entirely complaining. We were forced down a rusty ladder then marched in front of the redheaded woman. Her green eyes studied both of us. "Care to answer my question, children?" We both kept our mouths shut for a second time and the cold look in her eyes hardened.

"You two better be incredibly stupid or brave." She made a gesture to the guy standing behind us and he put a hand on my shoulder, forcing me to my knees. I swatted his hand away, anger starting to build up.

"Hey, watch it!" I turned around to chew out the red head, when she pressed the muzzle of her pistol to my forehead. I had been trained my entire life growing up to always keep a level head in situations and never to let any fear or emotion that wasn't powerful on my face but it didn't happen this time. Tears sprang to my eyes and I started trembling.

"Leave her alone!" Dick shouted and the woman jerked her head. Two guys grabbed Dick's arms and held him back. The woman turned her attention back to me.

"Now," She said softly, and pushed the gun harder against my temple, forcing my head back to meet her eyes. "How did you get in?" I let out a little sob, closing my eyes and shaking harder. She was going to kill me. The emotion in her face, the stance of her body and the fact that I had just witnessed her killing someone else in complete cold blood told me this.

"Cat, just stay calm. It's going to be ok." Dick's voice sounded like it was coming from the end of a tunnel.

"Don't lie, boy. If your friend here doesn't feel like sharing then she isn't worth keeping around." I heard the safety on the gun being turned off. Oh god. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter. Oh god, oh god, oh god. Then, suddenly, I was calm. I was aware of Dick straining against the men holding him back. I was aware of the window blowing in through the still open window by the catwalk. I was aware of the killer's breathing above me. And I was aware of myself. My eyes snapped open. I'm not dying today. She barely aware of what I was doing. I swung my foot out, knocking the woman off her feet, she fired a shot into the rafters, I snatched the gun out of her hand then planting my foot on her chest and leveled the gun directly between her eyes.

"Tell them to stand down." I told her. She looked shocked, but she snapped her wrist and every man who had trained his weapon on me, reluctantly lowered their gun. "Let him go." The men holding Dick's arms released him and he backed toward me, still keeping his eyes on the guys behind me.

"I assume, you have a plan." He muttered as his back pressed up against mine. I didn't take my eyes off the redhead.

"Sort of." I whispered back.

"Is that code for: not at all?" I didn't answer.

"Who are you?" I asked the woman. She grinned.

"I'm the Music Maker." I frowned and ran through the metal list of villains I knew personally, had met, or had heard of.

"Never heard of you." I growled back. Her smirk widened.

"But you will. Soon enough." Dick turned his head towards me. We were still back to back, him keeping an eye on everyone while I concentrated on the 'Music Maker'.

"We need to go." He muttered. I nodded and I took my foot of the Musicmaker's chest, but kept the gun trained on her. We both started backing towards the door.

"Move where I can see you." I called and about four men appeared from behind us. For a second, I thought it would work. Then the Music Maker started to sing.