Chapter 17: She swung up on the display then into the ceiling

Dick Grayson

"Master Wayne has informed me that your brothers will be back in town soon." I glanced up at Alfred.

"Really?" He nodded.

"Yes. It appears that Master Bruce is calling them home for a family meeting." I rolled my eyes and Alfred handed me my mask.

"Probably something to do with Music Maker or Black Cub or both." Alfred raised an eyebrow.

"Indeed. I'm surprised you haven't asked which brother will be arriving first." I froze in putting my mask on and slowly looked at him.

"Don't tell me it's Damien." Alfred didn't answer but a small smile appeared on his face. I groaned. "No, really?" Alfred gathered my school uniform and headed for the exit of the Bat Cave. I finished with my mask and grabbed my helmet before heading out on the streets. Bruce was currently preoccupied with something and Barbara was having dinner with her father. I was out on my own again. It didn't take long for my com to inform me that someone had just broken into the Gotham City Museum. "Three guesses as to who it is." I muttered and revved my motorcycle down the street. Someone had picked the lock on the side entrance without much trouble. On my way inside, I glanced up at a large poster proclaiming the newest Ancient Egyptian Exhibit and sighed. "Always with the cat sculptures." Sure enough, crouching in front of one of the display cases, was Black Cub. I didn't say anything but she stood up and saw my reflection in the glass.

"Isn't it a school night?" She asked as she turned to face me, her blonde hair swinging off her shoulders. I shrugged.

"I was about to ask you the same thing." She smirked. She began to slowly walk toward me.

"Now, why do you automatically assume I'm a kid?" I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Because you look like, a year younger than me." She stopped in front of me. She was standing very close to my body and she clasped her arms behind her back.

"And how older are you, Robin?" I grinned.

"Nice try, but it's not going to work." She blinked innocently and tilted her head to the side.

"Whatever could you be implying?" She purred. "I'm merely trying to get to know you. I mean, you did save my life." I rolled my eyes.

"I assume this flattering attention is just in hopes you won't be arrested and not because you're actually interested?" She paused for moment then shrugged.

"Something like that. Can I guess that it's not working?" I mimicked her shrug and grinned.

"Something like that." Her eyes shot down my utility belt and snatched something out of it, throwing them onto the marble ground. Smoke exploded into the air and Black Cub darted into the cover while I stumbled backward. "Freakin' smoke bombs." I muttered, covering my mouth and nose and moving around the cloud of smoke. I just caught sight of Black Cub as she disappeared into the large replica of an Egyptian tomb the museum had set up. I ran after her and squinted into the darkness of the exhibit. I considered grabbing the small flashlight out of my belt but decided to rely on the dim safety lights built into the floor. Black Cub couldn't have gotten far because the enrie tomb was set up like a maze, not to mention her eyes would have needed a few seconds to adjust to the dim light. I started slowing down the long 'stone' tunnel. "So, no Catwoman tonight?" I called into the darkness.

"Nope." My head whipped to the left. She was nearby but I couldn't tell which tunnel she was in. "She wanted me to gain a little more street experience." Black Cub must have stopped to try and pinpoint my location as well because her voice had come from the same spot.

"Makes sense. Batman had me do the same thing when I was new to the game." I sidestepped into the nearest tunnel and began to follow it down a sharp turn to the right. I hear Black Cub curse from not that far ahead of me.

"You aren't that old are you? I mean, you haven't had plastic surgery or something to look 17 have you?" I laughed.

"No. But you think I'm 17?" She cursed again and I was able to hear her footsteps as she turned down a different passage.

"That's what I was going to peg you for. Are you just trying to get me to keep talking so I get more lost than I already am?"

"Well," I followed her voice and found the tunnel she must have turned into. "You know, they say if you're lost to stay in one place and let help come to you." She laughed.
"Cute. But not gonna happen." I shrugged.

"Can't blame me for trying, right?" I turned down another corner and spotted her at the end of the passage. She was looking up at the ceiling, which was a mash of metal bars for the exhibit lights. She swung up on the display then into the ceiling.