25

"Great, a flat or apartment or whatever this is. Looks more like a dump to me."
"Stop complaining Rio. It's my place."
"You need a sense of style."
"What a charming little homestead. Do you feel that? Is anybody here?" He said after kicking down the door.
"It's been vacant for decades. People must break in all the time. Why'd you bring me here?"
"Us, Stefan. Bring us here." Rio corrected. He was ignored.
"Your friend, Liam Grant, the one who drank his wife's blood...I never could figure out why you wanted his name. And then you told me your little secret. It was all part of your special little ritual."
"To write it down."
"And relive the kill...over and over again." Klaus opened the door to a closet or something. "You believe me now?"
"Look what I found." Stefan said. Rio heard a heart beating really fast. Klaus must not have been listening but it sounded like someone who was scared. And only one human would be stupid enough to come here. "1918 single malt."
"My favorite. Let's go and find someone to pair it with."
"You two go ahead, I'm going to fix this dump a bit." Rio replied, staring at Stefan.
"Meet us at the bar." A minute or two after they'd left Rio headed to the closet.
"Come out of the closet, Elena." Rio started to chuckle. "Seriously though, out you come."
"Hi." She said, sheepishly as she walked out.
"Why can you not stay in mystic falls? Do you want to die and drag both of my brothers down with you?"
"I can't just leave Stefan behind."
"Elena!" He said exasperated. "If you don't stop my brothers and you will die. And my brothers are vampires. You will achieve peace whilst my brothers will be forced to spend eternity alone without each other, wandering the planet. They'll be alone. No family no friends. And you'll be living it up in whatever goodness you have waiting in store for you. So go home. Leave Stefan be, let him go. You have Damon. And if you won't do it for yourself or for my brothers, do it for the sake of your brother. You think he needs to lose another family member? His sister? If he lives. Klaus might even kill your entire town for fun."
"It's my fault Stefan's gone off the rails. There's no Lexi to bring him back. I need to get him back before he worsens."
"Since the lives of basically everyone doesn't mean a thing to you, I will rephrase it. If you don't stop, I will tell Klaus your here."
"I just want to talk to him. I know he's still there, and I can't let him sacrifice his humanity for me."
"He hasn't. Yet. But if you continue this way he's going to end up shutting it off."
"How do you know he hasn't? No offence and all, but you haven't known him for the past century and a half."
"I'm aware people change, Elena, but he's still my brother. I was there from the moment he was born till the moment I turned into a vampire. No matter how long we've spent apart, i know my brother. He hasn't actually changed that much. He's still mainly the same."
"He's not that innocent little boy you knew."
"What do either of my brothers see in you? I know who he is. More than you do. So please just shut up. You better stop following us."
"Or what? You're going to go running to Klaus? At least fight your own fights."
"Why? At least this way neither of my brothers get hurt."
"So why don't you?"
"Because, Elena, unlike some people I know how to respect my brothers' wishes."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"You're supposed to be smart. Figure it out."

By the time Rio got back to the bar, Stefan and Klaus were drinking together. "So I'm confused. If we were such great friends, then why do I only know you as the hybrid dick who sacrificed my girlfriend on an altar of fire? Huh?"
" All good things must come to an end." Klaus replied. Rio decided not to make himself known- it was probably Klaus's story time again. Rio zoned out until Stefan spoke.
"You compelled me to forget?"
"It's about time you realised," Rio drawled walking in.
"It was time for Rebekah and I to move on. Better to have a clean slate."
"But why? You shouldn't have to cover your tracks...unless you're running from someone."
"Storytime's over." Klaus said. Stefan stiffed, though it was barely noticeable.
"I need another drink. A real one." He said and walked out.
"Where is your darling wife and step-daughter?"
"Off spending quality time together. They also took my credit card so they could be anywhere."
"How does it feeling. Having a sort-of daughter?"
"She's amazing. She's all Lottie's ever dreamed off and more. Anya's the best really."
"Rio, you make a much better human than you do vampire. So righteous, caring, much better at playing families."
"Maybe I would have made a better human. Doesn't change the fact that I'm not."
"Ugh. Don't you ever get tired of it?"
"Tired of what?"
"Of being so, whatsitcalled-"
"I don't know. You tell me what it's called."
"So mundane. So human."
"Last call. Drink 'em up!" Gloria called after Damon joined them at the bar.
"I see they've opened the door to the riffraff now." Klaus insulted.
"Oh, honey, I've been called worse."
"Hello brother. I thought I might see you around."
"Hey Rio. You still all buddy buddy with hybrid douche over here."
"Yes Damon, I know how to keep my friends. I don't run them all away."
"You don't give up, do you?"
"Give me my brother back...You'll never have to see me again."
"Well, I am torn. You see, I promised Stefan and Rio that I wouldn't let you die, but how many freebies did I really sign up for? And clearly you want to die, otherwise you wouldn't be here, so..."
"Control, Klaus. It's all about the control."
"What can I say? I'm a thrill-seeker." Klaus suddenly shot his hand out and strangled Damon.
"Klaus. Stop. Leave him alone." Rio interfered trying to pull Klaus off his brother, though to no avail.
"Oh, dear, what was that? I'm boozey, so you'll forgive me if I miss your heart the first few tries." He pulled Damon up, as Rio kept trying to pull him off. He was almost successful, but Klaus was almost 9 centuries older. Rio knew Klaus was much more stronger than him. Desperate he looked around as Klaus started to stab his brother with a toothpick. He was weaker than Klaus, but he was stronger than Damon. Maybe, if angled correctly he could take Damon's place or something. He sent a pleading look to Gloria, before barging into Damon. Surprised, Klaus's grip on Damon loosened enough for Rio to push his brother onto the ground, crashing him onto the table which broke under the weight.
"You want a partner in crime? Forget Stefan. I'm so much more fun." Damon gasped. Klaus ripped off the chair leg making makeshift stake.
"You won't be any fun after your dead." He held Damon down with one hand and held the stake in the other. Desperate, Rio jumped over Damon though angling his lower back over Damon's heart. Not a fatal blow. He braced himself but it didn't come. He looked up in time to see Klaus throw away the lit stake. Looked like Gloria came through.
"Not in my bar. You take it outside."
"Thanks Gloria. That would've stung like a bitch." Rio moved off his brother.
"I could've killed you."
"I would have let you. He's my brother. You know that, Klaus. You know what that means, so don't you dare do that again." He replied fiercely.