43

The next morning, Rio woke up to his phone ringing. "Why are you calling, Klaus?"
"Actually, it's Kol. I haven't got one of these blasted things."
"Hi, Kol. What do you want, Kol?"
"Not a happy camper I suppose?"
"Kol. This is the last time I'll ask. What do you want?"
"I'm to invite you and your family to this ball my mother is throwing."
"Okay. Tell me the details later, I'm going to sleep." Was all he said. He turned over and moved to sleep before he realised if he didn't tell Charlotte now, he'd never hear the end of it. "Lottie?"
"Hmm?"
"The Mikaelsons are throwing a ball tonight."
"Alright." There was no movement for a second before she jumped out of bed. "Wait what?"
"You know where my credit card is."
"It's fine, I do have my own."
"I would have never guessed, what with the amount of times you use mine."
"What happened to 'what's mine is yours'?"
"What's mine, is yours, but sometimes what's yours is yours too." Charlie pouted. "Come here, Lottie. You know I'm only joking." He pulled her closer to him encircling his arms around her waist. She leaned into him and smiled. 
"I really do have to go now. Love you babe."
"Love you too, darling." He said pulling her in for more kisses, both of them falling back onto the bed.
"Do you have a tux?"
"No, I'll just get one later, don't worry. If not, I'll get one from the closet."
"If you don't buy one, wear the Italian one."
"1905?" He smirked, giving her one last kiss before she pushed herself off him.
"That's the one."
"Alright."
"And can you go wake up Anya? While I freshen up?"
"Well, it's not like I was going to sleep."
"Would you have really gone back to sleep? I thought I woke you up."
"You did." He sighed in defeat as she walked into the bathroom. He got up and walked to the room across the hall. "Anya!"

"Damon, glad you made it." Rio greeted his brother at the ball. He'd arrived a little earlier and was now waiting for Charlie and Anya to come. They'd been out all day.
"Of course, brother. You know I love social gathering. You know me- a social butterfly."
"Alright you can stop now. You're not kidding me. Besides you hate the Mikaelsons."
"I'm going to go say hi to the Mayor."
"I'll come with." Rio smiled pleasantly. Damon rolled his eyes and grabbed two glasses of champagne as Rio grabbed one for himself.
"Hello Carol." Damon handed the mayor a glass.
"Hello." 
"Hello, Mayor Lockwood. Pleasure to see you."
"You too, Mr Salvatore. Please, call me Carol."
"Only if you call me Rio." 
"Hanging out with your new besties?"
"I'm the mayor, Damon. When the oldest, deadliest, family of vampires moves into your town, you welcome them with a smile."
"Hmm, Well at least you know who you're borrowing that cup of sugar from."
"They're not that bad."
"I'm trying to protect this town. They've assured me they want peace, and I've assured them that I'd enforce it."
"Mayor Lockwood. We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson. I hope your lovely town embraces us just as much as we plan to embrace it."
"Damon Salvatore. Have we met?"
"I've met a lot of people. And you don't particularly stand out." At that moment Charlie and Anya both looking gorgeous stood at the door.
"Play nice, boys. Damon- that goes for both of you." Rio said walking away ignoring his brother's protests.

" Rio said walking away ignoring his brother's protests

"Well, aren't I a lucky guy

"Well, aren't I a lucky guy. I have the best looking dates."
"Actually, Anya's meeting a boy here." Charlie told him.
"Oh really? What's his name?"
"Zachary." Anya replied shyly.
"Zachary Zane?"
"That would be the one."
"Oh all right. I suppose, he's a good kid."
"Thank you, Rio. He's over there." Anya was happy that Rio approved. They'd become really close. Grinning widely, she walked away.

"Might I say you look absolutely stunning, my lady?" Rio bowed. Charlie giggled.
"You don't look too bad yourself. Except maybe that tie." Charlie fixed it for him. Elijah stood at the top of the staircase, and started an announcement.
"Uh, if everyone could gather, please." All the Originals moved and stood together at the staircase. "Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom."
"May I have this dance, my lady?" Rio bowed again. Charlie giggled. Again.
"Why, yes, kind sir. You may." They walked out together and started to dance.
"Have I told you just how ravishing you look in that dress?"
"Have I told you just how handsome you look in that tux?" She countered.
"Well, I do look pretty dashing, don't I?" She laughed.
"Yes. You do." She smiled and they stared at each other. "No matter how long we're together I never seem to tire of you."
"Well, I am a pretty exciting guy."
"Since when?"
"Funny." He shook his head. Their laughter stopped. "I love you."
"I love you too." They leaned to kiss but the music changed and they had to swap partners.
"Hey, Rio."
"Caroline. How are you?"
"I'm good. Your wife looks really pretty."
"She does, doesn't she?"
"And you look adorable in the tux."
"I do not look adorable."
"You look so cute." She squealed.
"Caroline. I am not cute."
"Aww."
"I'm not going to win this one am I?"
"Nope." She smiled.
"You look amazing. Your date is a lucky guy." He said, politely. "Who is it?"
"I am not here with a date."
"Oh really? I saw you earlier. With Klaus. I'm not judging, don't worry. He's my best friend- remember? I also saw you looking very tense. Feel free to slap him anytime you want. Might help?" He smiled.
"Are you supposed to advise me to do that. Won't he get pissed?"
"Probably but he likes you. Any time he annoys you just slap him."
"You're a great best friend." Caroline said sarcastically, though she wore a smile on her face.
"But seriously, give him a chance. You guys have only seen bad guy Klaus. Stick with him, and you'll see good Klaus." 
"That's what I'm afraid of." Caroline told him. He didn't have a chance to reply before he had to change partners again.
"Anya. Is everything going good?" He asked protective. "Do I need to talk to him?"
"No, he's been a perfect gentleman. I like him. A lot."
"Well, good, but I still want to have a chat with him."
"What are you going to do?"
"It's a guy thing." He twirled her around, and the partners changed again. Charlie and Rio ended up together again. "Fancy seeing you here."
"So, tomorrow, I was thinking we go up to New York, with Anya- just for the day."
"Do we have to take her?" He mock complained. He spun Charlie around three times before bringing her close to him.

"Yes we do."
"Oh alright then. If we have to."