37

"My turn!" Rio and Damon were at the Mystic grill shooting darts. Elena was nearby leaving messages for her little brother.
"Unbelievable!" Elena exclaimed.
"You are feisty when you are mad." Damon remarked.
"It's not that I'm mad. I'm just-I'm worried."
"But why? He lost his job at the Grill. He can survive, Elena."
"He is spiralling. Ever since Bonnie broke up with him, he is moody, he isn't really talking to anyone."
"It's typical teenager."
"Who's seeing ghosts and has lost everyone that he cares about."
"Not everyone." Damon reassured. "He still has you."
"He's probably acting out. Needs some space, or something constant in his life. Not telling you he was fired was because he probably doesn't want you to worry." Rio chimed in.
"Are you sure Anya's your only kid?"
"Yes. But I was a teacher. More than once."
"Oh right." Damon threw a dart, then went to retrieve his previous ones.
"You okay?" Elena asked.
"What makes you think I'm not okay?"
"Well, you're daydrunk. It's not exactly your most attractive look."
"Hmm- what is my most attractive look?"
"Please stop flirting with me around. At least wait until I'm gone." Rio walked away. After a couple seconds he saw Klaus heading towards Damon and Elena. "On second thoughts Klaus is headed here so..."
"Klaus." Elena said curtly.
"You gonna do this in the Grill? In front of everyone? In front of my brother? It's a little beneath you, don't you think? Especially seeing as how he only just forgave you."
"I don't know what you are talking about. I just came down to my local pub to grab a drink with a mate." A man walked up behind Klaus. "Get a round in, would you Tony?"
"I'm surprised you stuck around town long enough for happy hour."
"My sister seems to be missing. Need to sort that out."
"What did happen to Rebekah?" Rio asked his brother. "Last I saw she was headed out of the room Mikael and you guys were in."
"No clue, brother." Damon lied with ease. "Cute blonde bombshell, psycho. Shouldn't be too hard to find, though."
"Truth is I've grown to rather like your little town. Think I might fancy a home here. Oh I imagine you're wondering how does this is affect you. The answer is: not in the slightest. As long as I get what I want and everyone behaves themselves you can go on living your little lives however you choose. You have my word."
"I'm offended you think my life is little. That implies insignificance."
"You're not offended." Klaus dismissed Rio's comment.
"What more could you possibly want?" Elena sounded a little horrified.
"Well for starters, you could tell me where I might find Stefan."
"Stefan skipped town the moment he saved your ass." Damon retorted. "What- you switching friends again?"
"No, it's become clear that Stefan hasn't really been my friend in over 90 years." Klaus threw a dart and hit bullseye. "Your brother stole from me. I need him found so I can take back what's mine."
"That sounds like a Klaus and Stefan problem." Elena started.
"Not a Klaus Damon Elena Stefan problem." Damon finished. "So skip to the end."
"Well consider this me broadening the scope sweetheart."
"I'm not your sweetheart." Damon objected. "Hate to break it to you- actually I don't- but you're not my type."

"So how're Charlotte and the kid?" Klaus asked, once he and Rio moved away from Damon and Elena.
"They're good."
"Good? That's all you can say?"
"Well that's what they are. What do you want me to say?"
"I suppose. So you really have no idea what happened to Rebekah?"
"No, last I saw she was leaving the room Mikael was in. I know she really wanted to go to homecoming, but maybe she freaked at the last second or something. I mean, people have tried to kill you before. Maybe she felt like the plan would go wrong- Rebekah has always had great intuition- and she ran."
"Maybe."
"I'll ask around though. So, did you really kill your own mother? Harsh much."
"She's the reason Mikael hated me. She used to love me there was a time she did, but she turned on me. She started to hate me, then Mikael found out I wasn't his son because my mother slept with another guy and he started hunting me for centuries, so if she'd kept her legs closed, I would not have turned into the guy that carts his family around in coffins."
"If you're going to use crude language maybe you can speak a little quieter?"
"Sorry. And anyways then I turned into a werewolf too and extra extra heightened emotions because of the vampire side and the werewolf side. And humans manage to kill each other in quick fits of anger by accident without the whole heightened emotions thing."
"That's true. But still. Your mother."
"Your brother killed your father." Klaus pointed out. "What happened to your mother by the way."
"Officially she died of consumption."

"Officially?" Klaus was interested. "I'll bite, what about unofficially?"
"Good doggy," Rio teased ruffling Klaus's hair. Klaus glared. "Well after she died I saw her in Stefan's room. He thought she was an angel, and neither of them saw me. I saw her gone within a second and when I found out about vampires I knew she had to be one."
"Your mother is a vampire?"
"I saw her a couple of times, as a vampire myself. She had a coven- all of them rippers. But sometime in the early 1900's she vanished. I wasn't about to look for her. She'd either died and gone to hell or was living her life somewhere where she couldn't be bothered about her children. Whatever, I stopped caring a long time ago."
"That's harsh."
"You killed your mother." Rio shot back.
"Why do I get the sense you hate your mother?"
"Because I did see her once, and she said right to my face she was glad she didn't have to look after me and my brothers, and that her life as a vampire was not only better, but that she wished it could've started before. I mean, I was a vampire. I was 30, well 24 when she died, I didn't care about me, but I cared about my brothers. How could she think being a vampire where she couldn't even handle the bloodlust like Stefan, was better than looking after her own children?"
"Ouch, so we both got rejected by our mothers."
"Stefan was a kid, 11 years old, and she said she wished she wasn't his mother. Damon was only 19, barely an adult."
"Yeah, your mother was a bitch. I'm sorry, but she was." Klaus insulted.
"You're right, though. Stefan and Damon deserved better."
"Stefan and Damon deserved better what?" Damon asked walking up to them.
"How much did you hear?" Rio asked. 
"Well, Klaus calling our mother a bitch and you agreeing. I'm sorry but do you not remember our mother. Our kind, loving mother."
"We weren't talking about our mother." Rio tried to think of something to say. Something to use as an excuse. "My mother-in-law Charlotte's mother. See, she would insist I call her mother but we never agreed on anything. Klaus was being mocking when he referred to her as my mother."
"Then why do Stefan and I deserve better."
"Talking about your future mother-in-laws. If you ever get one."
"Oh. That makes sense. Sorry, I was a little defensive." Damon said. "Our mother was good. One of the only good ones in the Salvatore family."
"You ever going to tell him?" Klaus asked, once Damon eventually left the bar.
"No. She's probably dead, so no need to ruin his memory of her."