Twelve

We're outnumbered greatly, and I curse under my breath.

I prepare for battle, quickly strapping two knives to my belt, spreading my wings and preparing my sickle. To my left, Evangeline prepares a pack of knives, and has two in each hand. She's trying to look fierce. To my right, Kevin draws his katana and lifts it into the air. Trixie has a knife at the ready, and Finch is already mass-loading his revolver. Goodie, however, being the smart, brave, heroic kid he is, raises two pink pompoms and starts to cheer.

"Go, angels, go!" he shouts.

I roll my eyes. "Guys, go!"

And then, all hell breaks loose.

I spread my wings and fly into the air, immediately finding myself face-to-face with a drakon. But this time, I have a little experience. I manage to dodge its flames and dig a knife into its forehead like a unicorn horn of some sort. A Shiram comes at me: a fallen angel, he's got wings, and raises his warhammer, which looks like lava.

"There are Changelings!" I shout as I somersault in the air, kicking him in the face. "Fight alone!"

I bottle-dive a party of Shirams and take out a dozen at the same time. I dart from place to place, narrowly ducking spears, knives, arrows and walls of drakonian fire.

I look around, and see Evangeline flitting about, slicing and dicing. "Slice and diced chunks of asshole, anybody? Just for three of your allies' death!" I shout. When nobody replies (though Evangeline smiles), I laugh at my own joke and go on to kill those Satanic kids.

Soaring high into the air, I slice through another drakon's neck, and almost get hit by an arrow.

"Whoa whoa whoa!" I shout at the boy who's firing at me. He's winged. Either a fallen angel or some form of a Changeling.

I dive at him, and he swerves sharply, shooting at me again.

I duck the arrows, and with my sickle in my outstretched hand, I plummet straight at him, and stick the blade through his shoulder.

"Who are you?" he snaps.

"Name's Orson Goldbloom. I'm your future killer, and one of the Angels who will save humanity as we slay Satan," I reply as I thrust my sickle at him one last time, sticking it through his chest.

Aw man. I've killed plenty of monsters, but killing a fellow Angel...

The All-Father is going to be so pissed with me.

I see Trixie rise up into the air next to me. "Hey."

"Um...hey," I reply.

She draws out her sword. "Ready to slay some monsters?"

Wait...

My instincts scream, "FULL CHANGELING ALERT!"

"Trixie," I say, trying to keep my distance. She just flies to keep up so that she's about an inch behind me. "You're not you."

"I am Trixie."

I sigh. "Orson likes you," I test.

"Of course he does! He's my boyfriend!"

Definitely a Changeling. But just in case...

"Trixie, who's the All-Father?"

"Oh, an Egyptian God of some sort."

That's it. I shove my sickle right into her gut. "Nice try. The real Trixie's over there," I point in my two o' clock direction, where the real Trixie is mocking a crowd of monsters as she kills. And her maniacal laughter, it's insane.

I grit my teeth and dive down again, to face off against another bunch of Shirams. Great. Shirams aren't all that bright, just douchebags and idiots who need to get their asses kicked.

I somersault and slam right into one, and I behead another at the same time. Several charge at me, and with one swing of my arm and all the strength I can muster, I cut through a wall of Shirams all at once.

Panting, I wipe the sweat out of my forehead with the sleeve of my shirt, and look around.

"STOP LAUGHING!"

This gets my attention. I turn to see a Shiram growling irritatedly at Trixie.

"Oh, you know, I'm the one who put the word 'laughter' in the word 'slaughter'. Want a try?"

The Shiram's confused, and Trixie slashes as her undefended chest as her laughter echoes through the woods.

She creeps me out.

I see a drakon charging at me, so I swiftly roll out of the way as he tries to breathe fire on me. This time, I grab onto his neck and prepare for the long-way run.

He tries to shake me off, but I get a firm grip on him. I drive my sickle into his forehead and pull it back out, dripping with gore. For good measure, I slit the drakon's throat as well.

Do you know how hard it is to kill a drakon? Its skin feels like rubber, but when you're trying to kill it, it feels like cutting through steel. I ignore the steel part, and just focus on not giving up.

"Orson, help!"

I immediately spot Evangeline being tackled by a party of blue deer. Oh, of course they're Changelings.

I fly several feet above the Changelings' heads.

"Prove it's you! What's your name?" I shout, already taking one out.

"Evangeline Youngspire!" she shouts back.

"Who's your crush?" I deadpan.

"Orson Goldbloom, you freaking horse, you know I liked you!" she shouts back.

Fine. It's really her. Within a few swipes of my sickle, they're all dead.

"Thanks, I guess," says Evangeline.

"Welcome," I reply, and as I soar off to find someone else to combat, I shout, "You owe me dinner, Evangeline!"

What? I'm hungry!

"Maybe?" asks Evangeline.

I grin and proceed to slay. Evil fuckers watch out, this boy was born to kill.