- when you're near i hide my -
- blushing face -
- and trip on my shoelaces -

●●●

"Aaliyah!" My mother's voice drifted up to me from downstairs. I knew that tone, it was the tone she specifically saved for me on the days in which I slept in. "Hurry up! Luke and I want to see you before you leave for school this morning!"

"Luke made waffles! And I'll gladly eat yours if you don't come get them!" Another familiar voice drifted upstairs. Simon. I started blushing just thinking about him. He was Clary's best friend, so he was over at our apartment alot, which I secretly loved and hated at the same time. Hearing his voice was all the motivation I needed to get out of bed this morning. Well, his voice and waffles.

I rolled out of bed and grabbed some random clothes, which happened to be, a floral print Star Wars sweatshirt, black skinny jeans, and my favorite converse. Next I sprayed some perfume on myself and quickly took a glance in my mirror, making sure that I looked somewhat presentable, and ran downstairs.

"Aha! She lives," My twin sister Clary joked, I rolled my eyes at her as she moved to grab a small package from on the table and handed it over to me."Happy birthday Aaliyah!"

"You too, Clary." I smile and accept the package and hand a larger one over to her in return.

Clary and I always buy each other gifts. This year I got Clary new art supplies, because I knew that right now she was working on a portfolio for art school and she was running low on some of her favorite paints. Both Clary and our mother were very talented artists. I, on the other hand, was an atrocious artist. Even my stickmen looked horrible.

That was just one in many of the ways me and Clary differ. We have the same wildly curly red hair and green eyes, but that's about all for similarities between us. Although we were different, we got along all the same.

"I love these!" She smiled as she ripped the last piece of wrapping paper from her gift, presenting the beautiful paints that I had gotten her. "Now open yours!"

I feel everybody's eyes on me as I open the small package. I pull away the small pieces of tissue paper that are hiding the gift and see the most beautiful piece of jewelry I have ever seen. It was a black rose necklace with rose gold edging along the ends of the petals. It was truly amazing. "Oh my! It's beautiful!"

"You can thank me for that," Simon grinned. I felt myself start to blush. I ducked my head and sat down at the island in the middle of our kitchen and started to eat my waffles.

"Yeah, Simon knows his jewelry." Clary giggles, Simon nodded in return, his mouth full of waffle. "Hey, Aaliyah, you should come with us tonight! We are going to Java Jones watch Simon's band play and maybe go out somewhere afterwards."

"Um, sure. I guess, I'm not doing anything else," I say, awkwardly. Usually I didn't like to go out where many people would be, but it is my birthday, and to be completely honest, I loved hearing Simon's band play.

"Make sure you guys stop by here before you go, I need to give you two girls a special gift for your sixteenth birthday." My mother said as she winked at Clary and I.

"Oh! Look at the time," Luke said, "I better get to work, do you kids need a ride to school?"

"Yeah, sure, I just need to grab my bag." As I start to stand to walk over to the stairs, I accidentally step on my shoelaces, sending me tumbling to the ground.

"Are you okay?" Simon questioned, reaching out to me. Why did I always embarrass my self in front of him? "That looked... painful."

I nod as I accept his hand, pulling myself up with his help, "Grace just isn't my forte."

●●●

A/N- hopefully you liked the first part of my story, I know it's probably cliche right now but I'm trying my best😅