- it's a bad religion -
- to be in love with someone -
- who could never love you -

●●●

When I woke up, I saw a few familiar faces standing around me. There was Clary, Alec, and the two others that I had seen at the club. They were chatting amongst each other about something that I couldn't quite understand. I lifted my hand to remove a damp cloth from my head. I noticed a black marking  Clary noticed me moving and smiled, pulling me into a hug. The others turned their attention to me.

"What's going on?" I ask, my voice hoarse and shaky. It was comforting having Clary with me, but I was dazed and confused nonetheless. "Who are these people? And why did they tattoo me?"

"This is Jace, Isabelle, and Alec, and they didn't tattoo you, silly. It's an iratze." She explained, it was obvious she could tell I was confused, because she went on,"it's a rune, the healing one. There are basically runes for everything."

"Okay, but why is it on me?"

"You almost died." Alec snapped. "Blah blah blah, demons. Blah blah blah, death. Blah blah blah, you're a shadowhunter. Now if you don't mind, we have work to do."

"Did I do something?" I ask the others as Alec walks away.

"No, he is just annoyed that he has to keep explaining the same things over and over again." Isabelle answered, then she leaned in and whispered, "And between me and you, he's always really grouchy."

"Well, if he's not going to explain anything to me, can somebody else?"
I ask, looking towards Jace and Clary. "Unless you all want to storm off all annoyed too?"

"Oh, right." Jace said, bringing his eyes away from Clary and to me, "Well, let's start from the beginning."

Jace filled me in on what had happened prior. He was giving a brief explanation, but it was still enough information to flood my mind. I asked about my mom, and he filled me in on what he knew. She married a man named Valentine Morgenstern, who formed a following called the circle. My mom didn't like what he believed in or something and left him or something like that. He, and the others at the institute, as well as my mother, are all shadowhunters. A species that is part human and part angel.

"So Clary and I, we are shadowhunters too?" I ask, finally getting somewhat of what was happening. I honestly felt like Harry Potter when he first discovered he was a wizard. He nodded. Our conversation was cut short because of a blaring alarm. I look to Jace for answers, but he's gone; walking towards the door. "What's happening?"

"Stay here, it'll be fine."

"That alarm means that there is something outside of the institute that technically isn't supposed to be." Luckily Isabelle was still here to inform me, "Are you hungry? I'm going to go make breakfast."

"Um, not to question your shadowhunterness, but aren't you supposed to do something about that?"

"There are many people at the institute. Anyways, it was the mundane alarm." She got up, but paused and added, "a mundane is just a human, by the way."

"We would love breakfast Isabelle," said Clary. She turned to me as Isabelle left, "isn't all of this so cool?"

"Yes, and no." I say, "It's all very, overwhelming."

"I know, but it's like...badass! I mean we come from people who fight demons!" She replies excitedly, grabbing my hand, "Our mother kills demons!"

"Oh, speaking of mom. Where is she?" I ask, Clary's face falls. I can tell she hadn't really thought of this either. "Do you think she's hurt?"

"Jace says he thinks Valentine has her, but he said that he probably wouldn't hurt her." She said, it looked like she really believed it. I nod, but say, "Should we trust these people? I mean, we just met them and all of this is so crazy."

"Yeah, but all the pieces fit together, so we are gonna have to, aren't we?" Clary stand up, and checks her phone, "Simon's outside! He must've set off the alarm, is better get out there before Jace or Alec does something."

I nod and smile. She was right, the pieces did fit, well the pieces that were there anyways. I reluctantly sit up and push myself up from the bed. I was craving more answers, and I was gonna go get them. There was a  building to explore and shadowhunters to question. I was gonna be busy for the next few days, that's for sure.