Chapter Three: Oh S h i t

It was 9:00pm. Evan had his jacket's hood pulled over his head as he departed from his house to the cafe in the pouring rain. The pitter patter of the rain was noisy and intense. The silver puddles create an obstacle course for Evan, only making his life harder. Dark grey clouds covered the starry night sky. The water was running freely down Evan's face and into his already soaked clothes. His footwear was quickly overwhelmed, water seeping in through the stitching. He was sodden and cold.

To make it worse, a fast moving car sped down the road in a puddle near Evan, splashing and soaking him completely.

Evan sighed frustratingly as he reached the doors of the cafe. He entered the empty building with his doused clothing, taking off his soaked sneakers and jacket. The clothing items were dropped off in the employees lounge, as Evan changed into his uniform and stood alone at the counter.

It was dead silent in the cafe for around an hour straight, no one had visited. The rain battered the roof like a hail of bullets, hammering down. Hammering on the windows like the relentless drumming of nails. Evan pulled out his phone and scrolled through his messages:

AmbitiousAlana: Hey, thanks again for taking over my shift!

TreeLover01: Yeah, no problem!

bathbombbitch: I have no fucking regrets--

TreeLover01: Are you kidding me?

bathbombbitch: shit wasn't crunchy, I'm sticking with bathbombs, but I still have no regrets

TreeLover01: Dude you're gonna get sick from that stuff or something

bathbombbitch: a step closer to the inevitable and unstoppable force of death, lit

Interrupting Evan's texting was the door's small bell.

TreeLover01: Look, I gotta work, but no more soap bars or whatever

bathbombbitch: try and stop me binch.

TreeLover01: I'm-

TreeLover01: Jared no

bathbombbitch: Jared hell yEAH-

Evan tucked his phone away in his pocket, and looked at the customer who approached the counter.

Oh s h i t.

"This guy again?" Connor scoffed.

Connor's hair was one with his face, wetly draped over his defined bone structure. He stared at Evan with a seriously disappointed expression, his clothing entirely soaked.

"God, you are so fucking bad at your job. Why do you even work here?" Connor snapped.

"You want a cappuccino, r-right?" Evan asked nervously, trying to dodge Connor's question.

"What do you think?" Connor tilted his head.

"Well, you-"

"It was a rhetorical question, for fucks sake-"

"I understand..." Evan mumbled, making the cappuccino quietly.

There was an uncomfortable silence between them, soon broken by Evan speaking.

"So, uhm- why are you out here so late at night?" Evan asked.

"Is it any of your buisness?"

"I was just curious..."

Evan handed him the cappuccino, looking at Connor briefly as he took a sip. He just wanted to help him, but Connor was right, it wasn't any of Evan's buisness. It was stupid of him to try and butt into Connor's life. He felt the wave of guilt pull him into the sea of anxiety. He felt his stomach churn and felt his chest tighten. Guilt took over every part of Evan before a voice interrupted.

"Okay, I'm just in a bad mood. I'm practically always in a bad mood," Connor muttered, "I just, don't understand.."

"Don't understand w-what?" Evan asked quietly.

Connor turned and looked straight at Evan. For the first time ever, Evan didn't see anger or irritation in Connor's eyes, he saw a deep pitted sorrow. Something in Connor was wounded, that he covered up with hatred. Something that just needed to be healed with a little love and care.

"Why are you nice to me?" Connor spoke more loudly, "I don't get it. All I ever did was treat you like shit, yet you were still quiet! Everyone else would yell at me or something."

"Well." Evan spoke quietly, "People just feel really upset sometimes... And I understand that sometimes the world is... Too overwhelming to handle and you just... Snap. And the best thing to do is just be- be kind!"

Connor stared at Evan, sighing, "Fine. I'll admit you're somewhat right."

'Somewhat! He actually, kind of, agreed with me!' Evan thought.

Evan smiled brightly at his new achievement. Connor looked at Evan, giving him a very confused look, "If you keep acting like that, I'll take it back."

"No, no!" Evan exclaimed nervously, "I-I was just happy you a-agreed with me!"

"Pfft-" Connor was trying to hide his laugh, looking away.

Evan couldn't help but stare. He didn't know how to explain what he felt seeing Connor smile and laugh. There was something about the way Connor smiled; the way butterflies seemed to escape from the pit of Evan's stomach as he laughed. The way the sun had somehow toppled down from the sky and made a home right there in Connor's heart. Such an upset person, enjoying the moment. He had the kind of smile that made Evan feel happy to be alive and just that little bit more human.

Evan could feel the heat rise up in his face, staring and smiling awkwardly along with Connor. Something in that smile was so unique and beautiful...

"Oh, sorry, did I make you uncomfortable?" Connor asked, his face returning back to normal.

"No! No, it's totally fine! Well not like totally fine thatItotallyenjoyjustwatchingyousmileandlaughsincethatwouldbecreepy hAHA-" Evan blurted, looking away and rubbing the back of his neck.

Connor chuckled dryly, "Hmph. You're something different, Evan." he said.

"Is that a good thing?"

"Well, we'll have to find out." Connor shrugged before walking to the door.

"W-Wait!" Evan called out in a panic.

Connor spun around, tucking his hands in his black sweater's pockets.

'Ask for his number or skype or whatever!' Evan thought.

"C-Can I.. Uhm-" Evan stuttered.

Connor raised an eyebrow, puzzled.

"J-Just..." Evan sighed, "Just take care out there... It's p-pretty late at night and it's pouring."

"Uhh, yeah, sure~" Connor snickered sarcastiscally, exiting the cafe.