Chapter Five: A Walk in the Night

Evan sat silently on the sidewalk before scrambling to his feet, running past Connor. His panicking didn't stop, knowing the thing that gave people access to his home, was missing.

All of the sudden, his body weight is pulled back. Evan looks back, seeing Connor had a tight grip on his sleeve. Evan stared silently, he didn't know how to react.

"Hey!" Connor called, "What's wrong? Why are you in such a rush?" he asked, concern could be seen on his face.

"Something- Something of mine is missing!" Evan panicked. He could feel the sweat drench his skin, the throbbing of his own eyes, the ringing in his ears, and the thumping of his heart against his chest. Evan's fingers are curled into a fist, nails digging into his palm. He couldn't hear his rapid breathing, but he could feel the oxygen flooding in and out of his lungs. Evan stood still in his spot, preparing to run away once more.

Connor pulled him closer, "Hey, okay, don't do that."

"D-Do what?" Evan asked.

"Don't panic, it's gonna be okay... I'll help you find whatever you're looking for. What is it anyways?" Connor asked.

"M-My keys!"

"Really? I thought it was like something important."

"T-They are important Connor, you don't understand! Someone c-could have access to my house! T-They could break in, a-and if me or my mom got h-hurt, it would be all my f-fault! 'Cause I was the idiot who lost the keys in the first place, and-!"

Connor was smiling. He stared at Evan, adoring him.

"W-Why are you smiling?!" Evan yelled, his breathing becoming more rapid and hasty.

"It's... It's nothing," he laughed quietly, taking both Evan's hands. Connor rubbed his thumbs against the back of Evan's hands, making an effort to calm him down, "Just take deep breaths or something. We have no idea if anyone else even has the keys." 

Evan followed what Connor said, slowing down and taking deep breaths. After taking a few minutes to calm down, Connor pulled his hands away from Evan.

"Okay..." Evan mumbled.

"So, where were you heading?" Connor asked.

"The c-cafe." he muttered.

"Well, I'll go with you then."

Evan eyes widened in surprise, "N-No, no! You don't have to! I can go alone, I don't want to waste your time!"

"You aren't wasting my time, Evan." Connor chuckled dryly, smiling warmly at him.

Evan looked away shyly, beginning to walk, Connor following beside him. It was a silent walk to the cafe, but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. Just being around Connor, knowing that his presence was near, made Evan all the more calm and relaxed. After several minutes of walking, they reached the cafe. They entered the building and Evan made his way to the back where the employees lounge was. He looked through the shelves, counters, tables, everywhere he could think of, but the keys didn't show up. Evan's level of panic began to rise before he heard Connor burst into laughter. 

Evan turned around, seeing Connor near a couch, holding up a couch cushion. He was laughing before he turned around, swinging a set of keys in front of Evan.

"Look familiar?" Connor asked sarcastically.

Evan gasped before running over and grabbing the pair of keys, "Oh gosh..! Thank you so much!" he smiled, looking up at Connor.

Connor shrugged, "It's no big deal, just me saving your ass." he laughed.

"Yeah, yeah!" Evan laughed along with Connor.

By the time they found the keys, the sun had already set and the outside world was pitch black. They exited the building together, Evan feeling so much more at ease that he had his keys back. 

"Why don't we take the long way through the park?" Connor offered.

"R-Right now?" Evan asked.

"Yeah! It'd look pretty cool. You know, the night sky, walking through the quiet, not crowded park..."

"Y-Yeah, that sounds great!"

 Evan and Connor walked to the park together, underneath the once salmon and purple sky, now transformed into a vast expanse of jet-black that engulfed the city. The moon hung full and hazy beneath an eclipse of blazing stars, a canopy of luminous stars materialized amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, but there was an adequate amount of shimmering stars to illuminate the dark night. The pond located near the park glistened, mirroring the dazzling assemblage of glittering stars. The faint wind brushed against the water, the ripples ruffled the stillness of the surface, and shattered the reflection...

"It's beautiful." Evan muttered, thinking aloud to himself  as he stared at the stars.

"Yeah..." Connor agreed. The only thing was, he wasn't looking at the stars.

He was looking at Evan.