You're Not In Love With Me.

Content:
Rick/Morty based
Morty knows.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

       When Morty woke, finding it was Saturday and he didn't have to sit in Mr. Goldenfold's class and anxiously wait for Rick to save him from math, he felt.. different. He felt almost complete, like he had everything. 
        He rose with a smile, daintily slipping into his soft blue jeans and regular yellow t-shirt. The teen sighed softly, descending the stairs that led to the lower level of his home to find everybody at the table, breakfast laid out before them. Morty assumed his regular seat, next to Rick, and smiled down at his plate. He didn't know why he couldn't stop grinning like a mad man, but he found it nearly impossible.
       "Good morning, Morty," Jerry called. Morty smiled over at him and politely returned the phrase with cheer in his voice before he resumed the process of eating his mother's breakfast as he did every morning. 
       Morty watched as his mother was hit with a sudden bout of realization, standing abruptly and gripping his father's shoulder. "Jerry! You let me forget again," she grumbled. Hurriedly, her plate was taken care of and set in the sink. "Hurry and let's go. We're gonna be late!" His mother scrambled to grab her purse and keys, stepping into her shoes as Morty's father grabbed his by the door. He hadn't taken care of his plate quite as well as Beth, but that was okay. He was trying his best, and Morty was in too chipper a mood to let something like that bother him even a touch. 
       This morning was just wonderful for Morty, who wondered if his grandfather had any similar feelings of gratitude, as it were, after their recent actions.

*~*~*

       "R-Rick?" Morty called out softly. He wandered through what looked like an underground bunker, stepping past inventions and creatures in tubes taller than the anxious brunet. His grandfather had come down here hours ago and had yet to come back up. 
       "Dammit!" Morty followed the sound of the voice he'd heard, walking slowly down a narrow passageway and finding another section, appearing similar to Rick's lab in the garage, as it was best called. He found Rick laying beneath something fairly large, his legs being the only visible part of him right now as he worked on the underside of what appeared to be similar to, yet completely different from, the cruiser. 
       "Um, Rick?" Morty tried again, keeping his distance. "Wh- Yea, what urp what is it?" Rick seemed impatient, his tinkering stopping momentarily. Morty shook his head, though he knew Rick couldn't see the action. "N-Nothing, just wondering wh-why you we-were down here f-for hours, is all."
        "Well, eugh gee, let me ju-urp-just develop a technique to- to fix this instantaneously, Mo-Morty," Rick grumbled. Morty sighed, sitting on the floor and twiddling his thumbs. Rick's constant self-bickering and tinkering were really the only background noises Morty had right now as he sat back on his hands and thought.

       All day, Rick had been ignoring Morty. All day. It was nearly seven in the evening now, and Morty's heightened curiosity led him to search for his grandfather. Now that he'd found him, he didn't feel like it was really worth anything as he was left along on the ground, wondering if Rick even cared right now.

       The pair had fooled around on several occasions. A few touches here, a blow-job there, heated make-out sessions on the couch when the family wasn't home. Rick usually ignored Morty for a while after that, something the brunet didn't understand, and certainly didn't believe he would anytime soon.
       Last night had been the only time so far that it went any further than that. Last night, Rick had been a completely different person. He had been kind, gentle, and reassuring. He had been patient, guiding Morty and helping him in any way he could. They had gone on a longer adventure, leading to much more. Morty had lost his virginity in the place he seemed to frequent the most: the cruiser. And he had lost it to the person he seemed to be around the most: Rick. 
       There was no mistaking that that had made Morty feel more complete, like he had been missing that part of him all his life. Though he smiled at the memory, being that it was fresh in his teenage mind, Rick simply shrugged it off as he did with everything else they did anymore.

       Morty had managed to draw a simple, albeit extremely forced, 'I love you' from Rick, and that seemed to be enough for a while. Sure, it didn't amount to Morty's 'I'm in love with you', but that was just fine for the brunet. At least he knew, to some extent, that the words would come from Rick at some point. Even if he never meant them. 

       Morty wondered, as he sat upon the grated floor and waited for Rick to finish whatever he was doing, if, or rather when, this would all end. He knew Rick; knew him better than most, given the circumstances. He would eventually grow bored, tire of this 'game', as he put it. But that was fine. Morty was fine knowing he had at least received a taste of what it would be like to actually finally be with Rick. He could know he had at least a taste before Rick would tell Morty never to bring it up, before he would refuse to do anything but take Morty on adventures as his human shield and nothing more. Yes, these thoughts kept Morty up frequently, but he tried his damnedest to ignore them for now.

       The brunet was, almost thankfully, pulled from his thoughts as Rick crawled out from beneath whatever it was he had been working on, standing and cracking his neck before stretching his sore joints and muscles. Morty adored the fact that he could lose himself in something like this, jealous that he couldn't find a hobby that didn't involve his right hand and some internet.

       Rick wandered over and Morty stood from his spot on the floor, slightly stretching his legs. He smiled almost appreciatively when Rick had pulled him into a very fleeting kiss, stepping back and wandering off to put his tools away in the lower lab, as it was. 

       Morty smiled sadly now, covering it up as he helped Rick. Rick gave what Morty assumed he meant to be an appreciative kiss, laying it gingerly though bruskly on the top of his curls as he patted the brunet's shoulder with a calloused hand. 

       "I l-love you, Ri-Rick," Morty stated softly. Rick glanced away now. "Love you, too, urp M-Morty," he mumbled.

       The brunet shook his head sadly, walking away now as they made their way back to the above-ground garage. 

       "No, you d-don't."