Mat Sella | Marble Soda

Published // 080217

Coffee dad! This was the first idea that came into mind when I planned to do a oneshot for him. Again, title alliteration.

Updates are every other day.
Don't forget to vote or comment; it lets me know you're enjoying the stories.
If you have a request, comment here or on the first chapter.

QOTC: Favorite drink/s?

A: I'm up for anything sweet, but I absolutely love milk tea.

____________________

A small bell chimed, signaling a new customer for the Coffee Spoon. Mat looked up from the person he just finished serving, and a wide grin came upon his face.

"(Your Name)!" he beamed, walking over to you. The two of you shared a special handshake that was made a few months back, and the man motioned you to take a seat. You gladly do so, sitting down on one of the very comfy couches of his café as he sat beside you.

"I thought you'd be back in Maple Bay much later," he said, looking up at the clock. It was only two in the afternoon, and you told him that you'd arrive at around four.

"The flight from Japan to here arrived earlier," you explained, checking your wristwatch.

"I left the country at around three in the morning and just slept the whole trip."

A yawn escaped your lips to prove your lips, and Mat laughed lightly.

"You wouldn't mind giving me my usual?" you politely asked, taking out your wallet from your pocket. Before you could take out the amount you needed for the coffee, a hand stopped you--it was Mat's. He shook his head at you and was about to say that it was on the house, but you couldn't accept that; Mat already gave you a free drink for this month, or rather he spoiled you enjoyed coffee and puns just like him.

"Nuh-uh, mister," you pouted, taking out the money and putting it in his hands before he could react. Mat shook his head at your stubbornness but went ahead to make your drink.

"Hi dad!" a voice greeted after the bell chimed. You turned back to see Carmensita walking into the coffee shop, and she immediately noticed you and some of the plastic bags you were carrying. She happily greeted you before walking to sit beside you.

"How was the Japan trip?" she asked casually.

"It was great, thanks for asking," you said with a smile.

"What did you do there? Did you try the ramen? Do you have pictures? Did you get each person something since you have these plastic bags?"

You laughed and ruffled her hair. It was good to know that she was very interested in knowing your week-long trip to Japan. After Amanda left for college, you wanted to travel for a little bit since it had been a dream of yours that was put off for the sake of Amanda. Your daughter was ecstatic at the idea (albeit a little disappointed that she wouldn't be able to go with you and take pictures) and suggested that you go to somewhere eccentric. After a while of looking, she helped you settle for Japan and here you were back in Maple Bay after a week.

"Don't you two go off telling stories without me," Mat joked as he walked over to you and Carmensita. He handed you a cup of your coffee, and you accepted it gratefully. Mat took the space on your left as his daughter was on the right. Once you got a sip of your drink, you asked them what they wanted to know.

"Can we look at the pictures you took?" Carmensita asked, excitement in her voice. Her father told not to rush you, but you reassured him that it was fine. You took out your phone and went to the pictures, swiping to the start of your trip and even playing some videos that you took.