Chapter 6

I take a step back, changing my stance so that I'm ready to bolt if needed, even though I've closed the door behind me, so there would be a few seconds where I'd be helpless, just standing there. Zim is still cackling in the corner, but his metal legs move, slowly, one by one like an actual spider, making his way over to me. I try step back again, but I bump against the door.

"Z-zim?" I ask, my voice shaking. There's no use in trying to hide my fear now. "What's going on?"

"We've become so close..." Zim growls, smiling evilly at me. "You're a bigger distraction than anyone." The solid, lifeless orbs staring through me make his words even more terrifying.

"A distraction?" I manage not to stutter this time, though I'm still pressed up against the door. The handle is digging into my back uncomfortably. Zim doesn't answer, only begins giggling again, still slowly making his way toward me. He's getting dangerously close. Moving quickly, I take half a step forward, feeling behind me for the doorknob. It takes me a second to fumble it around enough for the door to open, but once I'm out of the room, I slam the door shut and run as fast as I can out of the house, not bothering to put on my coat.

---

By the time I get to school, my fingers are stiff and my nose is stinging from the cold. The blast of heat that comes when I walk into the building barely helps, but at least it's something. I cast a glance behind me, which I'd been doing for a majority of the trip here, but once again, no one is behind me.

When I sit in my desk, I can barely focus. Being right next to the window tempts me, and I spend most of class looking outside, worrying that the next time I do, I'll see Zim hurrying across the field toward me.

But, when the lunch bell rings, I still haven't seen any sign of Zim. I swing my legs over the seat, my paranoia ebbing. Maybe I was just tired. I'd stayed up so late last night, waiting for Zim to come to my room and tell me he was fine. Maybe I was the insane one in that scenario. Maybe Zim was completely normal and sane, and I had been seeing things due to lack of sleep. Yeah. I'll probably go home, and Zim will ask me why I ran out of his room.

"Dib!"

Or maybe he's already here.

"How did you get here?" I ask. "I was watching the window the whole time." I don't bother grabbing anything to eat.

"Yeah, I noticed," Zim says, raising an eyebrow. "I was in class for most of that. You know there's two sides of the school, right?"

Oh yeah. "Whatever," I say, slightly embarrassed. "Uh... sorry about this morning. I didn't get much sleep."

Zim looks down. "I'm sorry too. I... I don't know what happened, but it's gone now. Let's just... pretend that never happened."

So it wasn't just me. Either way, I agree that we should just act like we saw nothing. Anything to keep from things being awkward between us. I'd really rather be able to spend time with him comfortably.

Before either of us can say anything, a few of the other students walk up to our table. Their shadows loom over us, which is what causes me to look in their direction. I recognize the students as Zita and Sara. Zim looks up too, but with a look of blatant distaste. He's no more used to this than I am.

"Uh, hi guys," I greet them, still not great at the whole social interaction thing. Zim sits next to me, quiet, leaning on one arm.

"Hi, Dib," Zita says. "Did you hear about the Skool Dance next week?"

"I have," I answer. Ms. Bitters had- reluctantly- told us about it on Friday. "What about it?"

Zita's face goes a bit pink. "I was wondering... if... you wanted to... go," she says. "Um, with me," she adds. She glances at Sara who gives her a subtle thumbs up.