Chapter 18

My eyelids are still heavy when I come to, and through my fuzzy thoughts I can make out voices. I can barely hear them, though I can't tell if they're being quiet or it's just my unfocused hearing. I can't understand what they're saying- again, most likely due to having just woken up and my senses aren't one hundred percent- but I don't want to put in the effort to try and figure it out. In addition to a slight headache, my arms and legs are too heavy to move. Or... wait. I'm tied down. Okay, this is not good.

I force my eyes open despite the bright light above me, tilting my head, as it's not held down like my limbs. To my left, I can see Zim, along with two other figures who I can't exactly make out due to them being covered in shadow, but I can only assume that they are Zim's 'Tallest' based on their height.

As soon as I've turned my head, Zim's eyes- still between that of his normal self and the strange primal personality he switches between- flick toward me. He turns his body as well, showing me the reason for the half-way state: his Pak is connected to various wires. A Control Brain. It has to be. Otherwise he'd most likely be one way or the other, not in between. However, when he speaks, it is very clearly the deep growl of his malfunctioning other side.

"My Tallest," he says, confirming my suspicions about the other figures, "he is awake." The large room gives his voice a chilling echo, and a slow smile spread across his lips, once again revealing his abnormally sharp teeth. I barely register what he says, though, because my mind is running, trying to figure out how to get out of here.

If his current state is due to him being connected to a Control Brain, then if I get the wires off of him he should go back to normal. Of course, I cant exactly do that while I'm tied down. I need to free myself first. A quick glance down shows that my binds are just leather straps. I won't be able to break through them on my own, but if I could get something sharp...

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when a clawed hand slams down next to me, and I look back up to see a giggling Zim, eerie magenta orbs staring through me as though I'm some sort of play-thing. And to him, maybe I am. The thought sends a chill down my spine.

"Zim," the red Tallest says, stepping into the light. Zim turns his head to look at his leader. "Do you want to execute the procedure?"

Zim's antennae flick up for a second at the question. "I am... allowed... to do it? Just... me?" He sounds innocent, surprised at what I can only assume he thinks of as a gift.

The Tallest nods. "Yes Zim. You've been good." He uses a tone similar to the one I'd been using before Zim knocked me out.

A disturbing smile still on his face, Zim turns back to me. "I get to... cut you open. All... by myself," he says happily, "because I've been... a good... invader... for my Tallest."

My arms and legs tense up as he says it, going numb once again at the thought of being cut apart. I take a slow breath. "Zim, calm down a bit. You just need to wait, this will go away soon." Zim's eyes flicker for a moment, opening a little bit.

"But... my... Tallest," Zim argues weakly.

"No, it's okay, just focus on me. This isn't you. You don't make your own decisions right now." My eyes wander up to the wires. I don't know how well I can influence him when he's being controlled.

"I... have been... told to... to... to..." His voice trails off, his eyebrows pulling up in concern, his voice lowering, slowly converting back to himself. Then, he shakes his head, and any semblance of normal dissipates as the wires start flashing, presumably forcing him back into his primal state. "I have been told... to kill... the... human."