C.29

I was awoken the next day by Natsu shaking my arm. "Baz! Wake up! I know what we're gonna do today!"

I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and arching my back. "Yeah? What's that?" I asked.

"I am taking you to see your mother!" He said and my eyes shot open.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I said.

"I think it might cheer you up." He smiled in my face.

"I think it might get me killed." I said and then sighed. "There's no convincing you, is there?" I asked and Natsu shook his head. "Alright. Lemme get dressed and packed." I said, sliding out of bed.

So I got dressed and packed for a few days, not knowing how long this would take, and we snuck out and made our way back to the town Natsu picked me up from. We left in the early morning, so we got there around dinner time.

"Right. This is the last place I saw her, so if she's not here, we're shit outta luck." I said and we walked up to the door, and I raised my hand to knock, but paused. After exhaling slowly, I quickly knocked, and my purple haired mother answered the door.

She looked between me and Natsu, then shifted her weight on her other foot. "You pregnant?" She asked and my face fell.

"No." I answered.

"Wouldn't matter to me if you were or weren't." She said and pulled me in for a hug. "I haven't seen you in so long. I missed you, Baz. I love you." She said in my ear, and I felt tears pricking at my eyes.

"I missed you too, mom." My voice cracked a little.

She soon let us inside and gave us tea and food. "So who is he? Boyfriend?" She asked.

"No, best friend. This is Natsu. He helped me out of a rough spot not too long ago..." I then dove into the story of why I haven't been back, and how I prostituted myself and was basically homeless.

"Do you hate me, mom?" I asked, looking down into my nearly empty cup of tea.

"No, honey. I could never. I don't know why you didn't just come to me for help. You know you're my baby, and I'll always love you." She said, holding my hand before refilling my tea.

"So I trust this Natsu guy has been taking good care of you?" She looked at him, and he gave her a kind smile.

"Natsu's been great to me, mom. He let me live with him, he's shared everything with me, he's been there for me. He has my back." I said and touched his arm.

"You're my best friend." He shrugged and I beamed.

"You would make a good husband, Natsu." Mom said and I grinned.

"I actually set him up with his girlfriend. She's the cutest thing, Lucy is." I said to mom, who nodded as she listened.

"Do you have someone, though, Baz?"

"I do. His name is Gray. One of Natsu's friends, actually." I said.

"And what's he like?" She asked.

"Hardheaded. Stupid. An ass." Natsu listed immediately, and I hit his arm as he laughed.

"Natsu and Gray are friends, but they don't exactly get along all the time." I explained and she nodded, then leaned forward and looked at Natsu.

"You've been taking care of my Baz and living with her for a while now, so you must know what's she's like." She said and Natsu nodded.

"The devils have cursed her with her father's temper. Look out for her, okay? See that she doesn't end up in jail from it." She said and I rolled my eyes as Natsu swore her he'd look out for me.

We soon left, and I gave mom addresses to our house and the guild, and to come by whenever, and we were on our way.

Natsu sighed loudly as we walked along a dirt road through a forest back to Magnolia.

"Baz, you do know I love you, right?" He asked, looking at the sky, and I smiled. "Not like a romantic love, obviously. But you're my best friend, my family. I'd do anything for you, and I will look out for you. I love you." He said and looked down at me as I wrapped my arms around his middle in a hug.

"I love you, too, Natsu." I said, reciprocating everything he felt and said.