C.38

So days and days passed, and Natsu kept my secret. He may act dumb, but he did have sense.

Thankfully, our group didn't split up. Gray and I just didn't talk to each other and just pretended the other didn't exist. Which was hard for me to do, because, you know...

I'm in love with him, and all.

So we were seated at a table, Erza now next to me, and I was sipping my beer, and the doors opened and I heard a faint sweet voice.

"Are Baz and Natsu here?"

Natsu must've heard it too, because we both shot up and looked at the small, purple haired woman at the door, asking Mirajane about us.

"MOM!" We both yelled and jumped over the table to hug her. We hugged her at the same time, and she chuckled and hugged us back.

"Hello to you two, too. Now, where's that cat?" She asked as we pulled back.

"Happy! Mom's here!" Natsu called.

"Mom...!" Happy yelled as he flew into mom's chest, and she just laughed and cuddled him and looked us up and down.

"How have you two been? I feel like it's been ages, and it's only been a week." She said, smiling softly as us.

"Well, Baz here..." Natsu said, putting an arm around my shoulders and I punched him in the ribs to shut him up.

"Baz?" Mom asked as Natsu coughed.

"I'll tell you later." I said and she looked at Natsu. "Oh, you should meet Lucy. You know, Natsu's girlfriend." I said and turned and waved her over.

"Luce, this is mom. Mom, Lucy." Natsu wheezed out and I rubbed his back.

"Sorry, I had to shut you up." I mumbled.

"I can't feel my ribs or lung..." He said and I just held onto him as mom greeted Lucy.

"She seems lovely." Mom smiled at us. "Natsu, go sit down before you hurt yourself even more." She said and went to a table, and Natsu and I sat opposite of her as she set Happy down and rumaged through her bag.

"Did you stab him? What happened?" She asked.

"No, just punched him." I said and she finally plucked a bottle out and set it in front of Natsu.

"Put a few drops on your hand and rub it in where it hurts." Mom said and I opened the bottle for him and he did so and straightened up.

"Thanks, that feels so much better. Baz." He snapped, and I stuck my tongue out at him, but a soft thud took my attention away.

I looked and saw mom had placed a bright yellow book in front of me, and I looked up at her.

"Thought it might cheer you up a bit if you were still feeling down." She smiled kindly, and I let my fingers trace the front, and I picked it up and hugged it to my chest.

"I've been thinking about this book for a week now. I've been quoting this book for a week now." I sighed and lowered my head to sniff the old, worn pages I loved.

"Mom, I need to tell you something." I said and Natsu looked at me.

"Now?" He asked and I nodded, and he sighed and stood up. "Alright. Let's get going." He said and mom and I stood up to go with him.

"We'll be back. Maybe." Natsu called as we left.

"What's going on?" Mom asked, sounding worries. "Natsu, what's wrong with Baz?" She asked and I just walked along, still hugging the book to me.

"It's pretty bad, I'll warn you." Natsu said and I bit my lip and looked down.

"Mom, I'm in love with Gray." I said and she stopped walking and I turned to face her, still looking down. "I know, I hate myself for it, I really do. But I love him, and I want to cross every line for him, even though I know I shouldn't, especially after what he did." I said and covered my face with a hand in shame.

"It just... he apologised, and it was so heartfelt, and I could feel that he really meant it and that he regretted his actions, and he said he would take it all back if he could, which I know is usually a bullshit line, but I could feel that he meant it." I said and touched my chest. "And I want to take him back, Gods, fuck, I do. But I have common sense, and I know that's wrong, and I also don't know if he'll do the same thing all over again, and I just..." I sighed and dropped my hands, shrugging.

"I'm stuck. I am so stuck here. I don't know what to do." I sighed again. "He smiles, and I know he's made of trouble, but Jesus, that smile... and I can fucking see... I see his heartbroken face as he was apologising every time I close my eyes, and I just walked away. I don't know what I was thinking. Why did I walk away? What I should've done was hit him... then kiss him. Goddamn, I miss him. And I'm in love him." I said and froze, finally looking up at their shocked faces.

"Why am I such a fuckup?" I asked in a soft, broken voice.

"I don't know what to tell you, Baz. What did Baz do when he was conflicted about his feelings for Simon?" Mom asked, looking at the book in my hands.

"Pushed him down the stairs, tried to kill him on numerous occasions, pretended he hated him, stole his girlfriend though he had no interest in her, and finally attempted to set himself on fire, which lead to a confession of their feelings." I shrugged.

"Okay, maybe don't do that." Mom said and I smiled and nodded.

"All I can tell you is decide if he truly meant what he said, and weigh the risks. Pros and cons, Baz." She said, taking one of my hands, and I nodded.