Prologue: Into the Blue

Whisperings among the wind signaled the coming changes. Tiny footsteps clamored daintily above the clouds in the evening sky. Nervous giggles and the flapping of excited wings alerted the Elders - the little ones were running towards the edge of the darkened clouds to peek at the earth below. They jostled among themselves to find a place along the edge and delighted in seeing fireflies dancing in the mist below. Their joy to welcome the One who was about to come was innocent and real. Their own time on earth had been brief. Someone was going to join them, that's all they knew. For the little angels, this was a Heavenly place where everyone laughed and played and LOVE was the only word whispered in their ears.

There would be shock and anger, denial and questioning of faith from those left behind on Earth. Before acceptance, many would go to the abyss of the heart, completely prepared to jump into the absolute comfort of oblivion. It would be a difficult time, but The Elders were prepared. These were the angels who completed their journey after living well into "old-age; the ones who understood that once lived-life up here was a peaceful and welcoming reward. They would provide silent words of comfort when needed to help those left behind find the will to step into a new future, without their beloved by their side.

So, the wind wept quietly, reaching out with a comforting breeze as the anticipation of the little ones blended with the sadness of The Elders. The dawn was blinking through the heavens and it was only a matter of moments before the new one would come, and shatter the hearts and lives of those he left behind.