Chapter 15 Miracles

OK. This is a fast edit to post. In the final. Adam and Lindsay will also be in the room.

Alice woke up that morning, an anxious flutter dancing its way through her body. She looked down at the little girl who lay stirring next to her. Nothing made any sense. The fact that little children were dropping along with the snowflakes on her front lawn only added to her conflicted feelings.

What they all witnessed two days ago was unbelievable. Inexplicable; undeniably a miracle. She thought about taking something for her anxiety and sighed. Just as a drink wouldn't solve this situation, neither would a little blue pill. She looked down at Haley, and gently pulled back little wisps of hair that fell. She smiled when Haley, opened her eyes and stretched, opening her mouth to yawn.

"Mommy, did you like that man we met yesterday?"

"Yes, I did," Alice answered. "How do you know him, Haley?"

She felt Haley's arms wrap around her neck, and she smelled the sweetness of honeysuckle that she had noticed surrounded the little girl since the first day.

"Well..." Haley tried not to lie. "I know him from where I was before I came here!"

Speechless, Alice followed Haley as she bounded off the bed and raced down the stairs. She watched the little girl tiptoe through the kitchen and into the family room, where Ben was mumbling in his sleep.

Alice nodded as she saw Haley's questioning expression.

"Yes, he's ok, "Alice responded, choking back the growing disappointment with her husband. She turned on the TV so Haley could watch Peppa Pig.

"Isn't this the show you liked the other day?"

Haley mimicked in a soft British voice," Hello, daddy. Do you like muddy puddles?"

Setting down the remote, Alice went into the kitchen for coffee. She poured Haley a small glass of milk. She watched as the recliner lowered back into Haley's favorite position. She opened the kitchen door to the porch, enjoying the smell of the early autumn day. She had forgotten all about the plants she had been planting just a few days before, when Haley first arrived. Her mind flashed back to many years ago, when both her boys were helping her dig holes for the bulbs. Adam was digging furtively, while Todd, the age that Haley was now, began to pull up the small plants that were starting to grow.

"Mom, Todd is pulling up all the plants."

Alice blinked back tears as she remembered Adam going to his little brother, stooping down, and patiently explaining the difference between weeds and real plants. She remembered how Todd had leaned over and gave Adam a quick kiss, and Adam pretended to not like it, but smiled anyway.

The chime of the doorbell echoed in the quiet morning. Alice saw Joe peering in the side windows, hands cupped above his eyes. His huge grin made her smile, as she walked to open the door.

Detective Matthews was standing in the center, glancing at Joe in exasperation. Joe popped in front of him, holding his hand towards Alice.

"Good Morning, Alice!" Joe said as he brushed past Alice to allow the detective inside.

"Alice," Matthews nodded, with a slight smile. "Good news and bad news."

She stepped back and bumped into Joe. She turned to him and smiled at the soldier like stance he was making, chin up and eyes straight ahead. When he winked at her, she shook her head, and looked away, hoping she wasn't encouraging his behavior. She was beginning to enjoy his company but didn't want to show it. Not until she understood everything that was going on.