Chapter Twelve: Strange Things

13 Strange Things COMPLETE 8/30/17 ready to post

Alice opened the door for Haley, and they both squinted in the dim lights of the restaurant. Ben was at the bar speaking with an older gentleman, leaning towards him in quiet conversation.

Alice felt a tug as Haley yelled, "Daddy!" and started to run towards the bar.

As both men turned to look at her, Haley stopped. Her arms dropped to her side, as she looked with wide eyes at the man sitting next to Ben. Alice noticed the hint of a smile as the man turned to Haley.

"It's you!!!" Haley cried out, standing like a statue, arms to her side. She ran to the stranger, and Alice watched as the man leaned down to give an awkward hug.

Alice quickly followed and worried when she saw him whisper something to Haley. Haley nodded as she gently backed away, with the excitement of a secret in her eyes. She shyly moved towards Ben, still smiling at the man.

Alice walked up to the man, looking at Ben. She noticed the twinkle in this man's eyes as he looked at her. She did not feel comfortable at all, but there was something about his pleasant smile eased her apprehension.

She watched him shrug off of the stool, nodding towards Haley.

"Ahh, she thought I was her grandfather..."

Alice took the outstretched hand firmly, glancing at Ben.

"Ben, Haley was looking for you. I think you are needed at home. " She measured her words carefully.

"I'm Joe," Joe greeted her, with a smile. "And you must be Alice."

Again, she noticed the twinkling eyes, felt the familiarity he seemed to have towards her.

"I was just telling Ben here that he probably had another place to go."

Alice glanced between Ben, Haley and this man. It all seemed so oddly familiar and comfortable. The hair on her arms prickled.

"Have we met?" Alice asked, wondering at his calm demeanor.

"Well...in a way, yes!" Joe answered. "Ben was telling me all about you."

Alice saw the look between the two men, shaking her head, and then she glanced up at the TV screen that was interrupting the program with "Breaking News."

She watched the news anchor telling about little children being found near a house here in Woodridge Lake. She swallowed and blinked several times as she instinctively moved behind Haley, wrapping her arms around the little girl's shoulders. Her eyes widened as she saw the News Van was in front of her house, interviewing Detective Matthews.

The reporter was asking Detective Matthews about the news that all these children, presumed dead, were here, in Lakeview Ridge, at this house. Alive.

Alice watched as she saw the detective look clearly into the camera as if speaking directly to her.

"This is an ongoing investigation, and I have no comment, except to say that there are no children here at this moment. Authorities were called because they just showed up. They have been placed in protective custody until their identities can be confirmed."

The news reporter adjusted her earpiece and pushed the microphone back into his face.

"But how is it that they all showed up here? I'm now getting reports that some of these children are showing up everywhere. Churches, grocery stores, at their very own son's house...saying they are part of their family. Can you explain what is going on?"