Chapter Four: Pearls

Todd found himself being pulled high above the house and his room began to fade in the soft mist of the clouds. A bewildering sadness ached in his heart and he yearned to stay longer. Anger began to overwhelm the sadness as he looked around him and he cried out, "NO Not now! Things are just getting good! I'm not ready!" 

 He strained to see his house, and the mist parted so that he could see everything from a distance, like looking through a spyglass. As tears threatened to fall, he ignored the soft voices surrounding him. Gentle arms caressed him, as he rose higher and higher through the clouds.

We know, whispered the voices. It's always hard at first when it's so sudden. He had been given three more years, so many prayers were answered then. But now it was time.

His feet shifted as if he was standing on dry sand and ocean waves gently washed his feet. He looked down through wisps of clouds. The widened and he noticed a man in a long, flowing, white robe, waving to him with a white feather pen.

Todd blinked back a smile. This is all just a dream, he thought. Did that man look like Bill Murray?

He felt a little hand slip into his and a quiet voice asked, "Is that your mommy?"

Todd looked down and saw a little girl, around six years old, with pearl-white curls pulled back high with a pink polka-dot bow. She was looking down at his mother, who had just moved away and had walked down the hall outside his bedroom, resting against the wall.

"Yes, it is," he said, choking back the sadness.

"Why is she crying?"

"She misses me, I guess."

The little girl looked up at his face, her bright blue eyes questioning him.

"Why are you crying?"

"I miss her."

The little girl crossed her arms as she looked down at Todd's mother with a sad pout.

"I miss my dog, Shelby."

Todd glanced down at her polka dot bow, a smile creeping through his sadness.

"What's your name?" he asked, quietly

"Haley Margaret Jenson," she stated proudly. "What's your name, Mister?" she said, enthusiastically.

He waited a moment before answering, preoccupied with the scene unfolding below them.

"Todd," he said. "Todd Clifford Thomas."

"What do they call you? I have a little friend down there. His name is Brady. I watch over him sometimes when he is sad. His parakeet died."

Todd looked down at her and smiled weakly. Does she understand where she is?

"Of course, silly. I'm in Heaven."

He shrugged, unsurprised that she could read his mind. He glanced again at his surroundings, noticing that he was standing in the middle of billowing cotton candy.

"I'm Todd. Well, my dad and brother call me, Toddo. My mom calls me Todd."

They were sitting on a wall of clouds, watching as his family arrived below them.Haley nodded her head, her white curls bouncing as she leaned forward to get a better look. She saw a man sitting in an easy chair, looking around at the people joining them. He stood up to accept hugs.

"Is that your daddy?"

"Uh-huh."

She turned toward him and cupped her hand as if to tell him a secret. He smiled at that, knowing that no one could hear her. At least no one down there, on earth.