Chapter Six Stories, Stories

Todd watched the events unfold below. He was alone, now. He looked around watching little ones drifting softly among the clouds, the soft swirls snuggling around them. The clouds slowly parted and he saw Grandpa Carl standing on a carpet of lush green grass, playing catch with a group of little ones. Music and laughter filled the air and he glanced past his grandfather to see countless forms dotted on billowing waves of clouds. He watched while the clouds drifted apart, and he could see two wooden structures, high on stilts, neon lights flashing 'Come join us!' People were standing and talking to each other. There were balloons and streamers and the bass of the music thumped all around. This was a celebration.

Todd turned around and saw another structure made of golden timber. The blue peak of the roof slanted down to meet the sides of the building and one tall and tall window flanked the front that faced the ocean clouds. The house was quiet, standing alone below tendrils of green branches that embraced the top of the cabin.

He was suddenly aware that everything had stopped. Silence.

Todd looked back down the hill. Grandpa Carl and everyone else had stopped and were looking outwards towards a wave of clouds that crested gently downward. The people in both houses below him were facing towards the horizon.

Clouds rolled into a wave which slowly parted and a myriad of colors gradually crept up and spread across the sky, splintering ribbons throughout the sky. First red, then orange then yellow and suddenly the sky filled with a variety of glorious hues from an unseen palette which stretched upward and sideways, blinding everyone with its brilliance.

It was the sunrise. It was a brand new day.

"Toddo!"

Todd looked at his Grandpa, and quickly caught the ball he tossed in his left hand.

"There's nothing like that!" his grandfather said.

Todd nodded and lobbed the ball back to his grandfather.

Time was elusive and the only way Todd could tell as each day passed was to see the bright colorful trees surrounding his home become bright against the backdrop of the sky. The Japanese maple that stood right next to the front steps was in full crimson feathers.

Everything seemed so surreal. He felt fine. He felt alive. He still felt that somehow this was all a dream.

He still missed his family. He still missed life.

Suddenly a thought came to him. He remembered Grandpa Carl saying that one day he would learn how to help the ones he loved. He closed his eyes and concentrated, willing himself to be back on Earth. He wasn't sure how any of this worked, but he would try.

When he opened his eyes, he was in his parents' room. His father was snoring in peaceful slumber. His mother was curled up, facing him, holding the pillow he had given her last year.

She mumbled something in her sleep and her hand reached out towards him. Tissues sprawled along the carpet, and he bent down to reach for her hand.

He felt the warmth of her hand, and a tear began to fall from her closed eyes.

"I miss you so much, Todd," she whispered.

In that instant, he was yanked back up into heaven. It happened so quickly, that it took a few moments for his thinking to catch. He sensed a hand on his shoulder and he turned to see The Scribe, the man who welcomed everyone into Heaven.

"Oh, that's a big No-No," the Scribe said, and opened his huge white book, pretending to write something down. "That's one strike against you." He held back a little smile as he tried to frown.