Chapter 16 All the Little Children Need to Com Home

The doorbell rang and Todd found himself in the front foyer, knowing Adam and Lindsey were approaching the door. He stifled a smile as Joe peeked through the sides of the door, pressing his face awkwardly against the glass, and grunted. Todd glanced at Alice. She had stopped but a second, the beginnings of a smile twitching her lips.

He felt a tremendous pull from outside the house before he heard his brother's voice.

"Hey, Mama Dukes!"

Todd remembered he had to distance himself from the pull of his brother's love. He had already mastered the correct distance from his mother and, as he grew stronger, he realized that her closeness embraced his spirit so he was able to stay within a sphere of her love. *

Finding himself standing in the kitchen he knew so well, he felt a tingling sensation that warned him that Earth's power and the love of this house was drawing him in. Todd loved this house as much as everyone and everything in it. He hadn't been back except once since the weeks after he had died. As he had adjusted to Heaven, part of him had floated in and out of the earthly realm. As he settled into Heaven, and began sharing stories on the Sky-screen, his spirit bounced vaguely that he didn't remember until just now.

He squeezed his eyes tightly, fighting the pull as he heard them talking and coming into the room.

He concentrated on the gentleness of his mother's voice and through a mist of memories, he was laying on the floor of his bedroom again, so many weeks before.

He remembered the feeling of leaving his body and at that time, he was so afraid. He remembered the last words his mom had whispered in his ear that day as she kissed the top of his head. The kiss was a soft whisper in his soul.

"I love you, Todd. Come back to me." *

In that moment, he saw the bright light that shone through the window. A feeling of complete serenity had passed through his body and taken away his fear. His last moments on Earth were being embraced by her overwhelming love. He knew then, he realized, that he would be all right.

Suddenly, he was back in the kitchen in the present, his mom standing right beside him, looking out the kitchen window. His heart pounded with the desire to reach out and touch her. Fighting against the restraint, he reached out and tried to touch her, wanting her to know that yes, he was here. He did come back to her.

He closed his eyes again, relishing in the familiar memories of all that had happened in this home; knowing that although it was against the rules, he was going to somehow let her know he was here. But before he could do anything, she turned towards the family room. During his musings, he did not notice what was happening in the room.

He felt the disquiet before he saw the turmoil going on in the family room of his home. He sensed his mother's anger and Haley's distress as his father was yelled at his mother in a drunken, broken rage.

His parents were face to face, eyes glaring in anger. Although his mother was many inches shorter than his dad, her anger was built on trust. This outburst was something he had only seen a few times just before and since he had died. His dad was angry and yelling and sobbing alternately. His dad was on a drunken rant and didn't notice Haley's distress at all.

Todd was pulled towards his mom, as she moved quickly to hold Haley. The little girl was crying out," Stop it, daddy! Stop yelling at mommy! You love her! I know you do! "

He looked towards the TV and saw two people being interviewed on a morning news show.

She was saying she didn't want to go back to those people, and he remembered what she had told him when they first met in Heaven. He knew what she was too young to realize right now.