❝005. ─ Cheers 2 U.

STATIC IN THIS VIDEO STRESSES ME OUT BTW

1998.

A deep, exasperated sigh left my body as I looked up at the clock on the wall. 6:30 PM. In a perfect world, I would've been getting ready for a date, but suddenly it was beginning to seem like everything was working against me. My mother had run off to Vegas on a whim with her thirty-year-old boyfriend, leaving me without a baby sitter. I would never complain about having my own child at home, but I couldn't pretend that I wasn't jealous that she was getting dicked down tonight and I wasn't. I picked up the cordless phone mounted on the wall of my kitchen as I began to punch in the numbers that I had memorized months ago. As the ringing persisted, I grew more anxious. Part of me wanted his answering machine to pick up instead.

"'Ay, it's Static. I can't come to the phone right now, if it's important call back later. If it's one of my honeys, leave your name and your number and I'll get back to you shortly." I chuckled softly at his silly answering machine message, but silently I told myself to make him change it. That nigga bet not have no other 'honeys'.

"Hey Stephen, it's me. Courtney. I really hope you haven't left your house yet and that you'll get this message. I have to cancel our date. My mom decided last minute that she didn't want to babysit my son tonight. I'm so sorry, and I promise I'll make it up to you...call me later? Okay, bye."

I put the phone back onto the hook before navigating in my kitchen to the fridge, I opened to door, only to realize that I hadn't went grocery shopping due to being under the impression that my son would be with my mother all weekend. "Shit." I cursed to myself as I stood up and closed the door. "Mommy, isn't shit a bad word?" I heard from behind me, I quickly turned around and bent down to the four year old's level.

"Yes, Baby boy. Shit is a terrible word, and I don't wanna hear it come from your mouth again." I playfully thumped his nose before picking him up and turning him upside down, working my fingers into his fluffy body in order to tickle him, his loud giggles filling up the room causing my own laughter to emerge. "While you're in here cursing like you grown, did you pick up those toys?" I sat him down on the kitchen counter and my eyebrow raised in curiosity of his answer. If I stepped on another lego, I swear to God I was dropping him off at the fire station. He was about to try and pull off the puppy dog look, letting me know that he in fact did not do what I asked, usually, I was sucker for those big brown eyes and bountiful eyelashes but not today. "Corey, go pick up your things." I placed him back down on the floor and he ran off toward the living room.

Motherhood was harder than it seemed, definitely being only twenty-one and raising a damn near grown man on my own. Usually I would cower and fold underneath my son's little charming spell but in recent days I was becoming a little harder on him. Whether my new disposition would last was definitely up in the air.

Knock, knock.

My eyebrows knitted together closely as there was soft knocking on my front door. I walked over and opened it, my eyes widening softly as Stephen stood before me with a bag in one hand and what looked like a bottle of champagne in the other. He didn't get my message. So now my awkward ass had to break it to him in person. "Steph, hey. I guess you didn't get my-." I started before she shook his head and interrupted. "Nah, I got it." His southern drawl dripped from his duo. "If you couldn't come out, then I'ma bring the date to you. I brought your favorite from that one restaurant. And I can finally meet little man..." His last sentence was more of an inquiry. In the six months we had been dating seriously, I hadn't let him meet my son yet, only because I didn't know where our relationship was heading exactly. I knew that letting him in would mean I had to introduce him to Corey. I was apprehensive, my last relationship was with my son's father and it was detrimental to the both of us. I didn't want too many men in and out of my son's life.

I stepped to the side and I allowed him entry, leaning over to place a soft kiss on his lips before smiling against them. "I'm not gonna lie, I only let your persistent ass in because you brought food and I'm starving. This could be considered stalking in some states." He kissed his teeth and side eyed me before letting out a dry laugh. "Yeah, we gon' go with that as the reason." He placed the food on the counter and he began to look through my cabinets for dinnerware. His take charge attitude was always his most attractive quality to me, beside him being physically fine as hell. "Why you standing there staring at me? Go get lil' man." He said with a smile on his face, nodding toward the living room, my nose wrinkled up in response. "This ain't your house, you can't be making demands." I said turning around to walk into the other room.

"It ain't my house yet. Give me another six months. Have err'ybody callin' me daddy!" He retorted confidently. "And I bet you goin' to do what I said!" I laughed softly as I strolled over to my baby who was thoroughly entertained by The Rugrats playing on the television. "Corey, come here. There's somebody I want you to meet." I explained as he stood up. "Who is it mommy? Is they nice?" He asked as he skipped toward the kitchen. "Baby, this is Stephen." Corey was hesitant at first, but once Stephen kneeled down to his level and offered his hand. "What's up, dude? I'm your mommy's best friend." He introduced, Corey stayed quiet for a second before he placed his hand into the larger one. "I'm Corey. Mommy's best son." I bit down on my lip to keep from laughing as they shook hands. It was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. My two favorite boys had finally met.

The night was everything I could've imagined and more. Steph and Corey were just naturally drawn to each other. My shy son was out of his shell around the man I was falling for and Stephen was instinctively in tuned with Corey's ways. It was almost scary how similar the two were. Meeting my baby was the last test and he passed, I could feel the walls guarding my heart shattering. 

"He's finally sleep. He would've made his bedtime if you wouldn't have suggested playing Nintendo." I re-entered the living room once again, Stephen was pouring champagne into two champagne flutes. He surveyed them both to make sure they were evenly full before he beckoned me over. I slowly sauntered into his space and he wrapped one arm around my waist, pulling me down in his lap and handing me one of the glasses. "Let's make a toast." He suggested, holding his flute up in the air.

"To what?" My head tilted to the side as I was genuinely confused, he looked up into my eyes and his tongue slid between his lips before he parted them to speak. "To you, for givin' me a chance. I know you was a lil' skeptical at first, and a nigga was pushy. But I saw what I wanted and I pursued you. I'ma be honest, that's the best decision I ever made. I know your ex left you feelin' like you ain't worth nothing. I feel that pain, but let me be the one to help you through that, a'ight? I'll take care of you and lil' man. Lemme be that for you."

"Steph..baby." My shoulder's slouched slightly, I couldn't keep my eyes from welling up with tears, I only pushed my bottom lip out and let them flow. There was no mistaking it now, he had broken me down. "Whoa, shawty. I ain't mean to make you cry." He laughed out softly as I used the pad of my fingers wipe my tears, he grabbed my hand and he slowly began to kiss each one of my fingertips. "I'll take that that as a yes." He added matter-of-factly. "Of course it's a yes. I don't want anything more." I placed my hand on the side of his face and I peppered his lips with soft kisses before I pulled away. "But first things first, who are these honeys callin' you and leaving messages!?" Our laughter began to fill the room after I posed the question.

He was the best thing I never knew I needed.

It was actually hard to write something sweet and not dramatic.

Let me know what you think!