❝0016. ─ Compelled ; Act 2.

1993

            1993.

It had been days since the incident at in the woods and despite a countless number of apologies, I still wouldn't talk to my so-called friends. For all they know, I passed out while pissing on a tree and somehow, I luckily found my way back to them.

I guess they think I followed the stars or some other cowboys and Indians shit.

I couldn't bring myself to tell them what happened with the, whatever the fuck it was. First of all, they wouldn't believe me, second of all I had even convinced myself that I had hit my head on a rock and dreamt the whole thing. Sounds logical to me.

"Zena, are you still—." My roommate, Tiffany spoke to me as I emerged from my bedroom, other than the fact that I wasn't speaking to her and she knew it, I was also late for my shift at work and I didn't wanna hear my old ass bosses mouth. "I made breakfast." She added as she held up a plate in my face, I took a piece of bacon off the porcelain dish, placing it between my teeth as I pushed past her with my keys in my hand, leaving the apartment without uttering a single word to her and taking the short stroll down the block to my place of employment.

"You're late. I'm docking your pay." Leon, my pain in the ass of a boss said as he wrote on his damn clipboard.

"Ain't like I get paid shit anyway." I mumbled under my breath as I walked to the kitchen of the coffee shop, stuffing my things in my work locker before grabbing an apron and sliding it around my neck. "Ay, Rod. Tie this for me?" I turned my back to one of my co-workers and he took the strings of the apron and tied them into a bow. "Thanks, is it busy this morning?" I used the hair tie on my hand to secure my curls into a bun as he shook his head 'no'. I swear his momma dropped him on the head as a baby, the man couldn't string three words together.

"Zena, you're on register. Since you decided you wanted to come in on...on...CP time!" Leon exclaimed.

My mouth dropped as my neck instantly rolled to the side, I raised my hand up to him before forcing a smile on my face. "I'm not going to let you disturb my peace, Leon. Turn the other cheek, said the Lord." I slowly turned on the heels of my shoes as I walked out of the swinging double doors and behind the counter.

"Z, what took you so long. You almost missed breakfast rush." Camille said as she tried to work the register and make sure drinks were made at the same time.

What the fuck was Leon doing other than writing on that bullshit clipboard?

"My bad, C. I'm here now. You do drinks and I got the register." I gave the lady on the other side of the counter a faux smile as I spoke. Of course, she had a complicated order. I don't know what it was with these people and their fancy caffeinated drinks, it was almost like they were on crack with this shit. I let out an exasperated sigh as I cleared the line of people in record time, handing the last business man his mocha frappe latte espresso, or whatever he ordered. I slid my pen into my messy bun and I turned my back to the counter so that I could converse with Camille during our slow period.