4. Heavenly

» Beam «

"This is the end," Pha complained for the nth time that day. I barely resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him. I could hear Kit groaning in annoyance beside me as well. Pha had been acting up since the day before and we were close to losing every bit of sanity we had left, our patience was hanging loose by a thin thread. "I'm screwed."

"You are overreacting, Pha," Kit said. We were inside my car, heading to get dinner, Pha's treat. Kit was at the passenger's seat, and Pha was at the back. I was their driver that night. Lucky bastards. "It's not the end of the world."

"For you it isn't, but it's the end of my world," Pha emphasized and I saw Kit from the corner of my eye giving Pha 'the look'.

"Shit Pha, calm the fuck down," I scolded. When Pha gets agitated, so do we. It's some kind of link all three of us ever since we were still kids.

"You're giving us a headache," Kit added.

"I'm serious, Kit," Pha insisted, both hands raised to emphasize his point. Ah, He really was stubborn. "I'm in big trouble."

"No you aren't," I said but Pha wouldn't listen and continued blabbering on how fucked up he was and he needed a way out of everything. I sighed deeply in defeat and decided to just concentrate on the road instead.

Yesterday, when they had just finished their usual practice and before they were dismissed, the pageant staff said they had a talent performance to prepare for and it was included in the program proper, and Pha, who was convinced that there wouldn't be a talent showcase at all, was overly fussing about it.

"I don't have any talent at all!" Pha exclaimed. "I have nothing!"

"Of course, you do," I insisted but it sounded less convincing than I thought it would have been. Pha was right. My best friend might have the looks, the money, the charms and the brains but beside that, he had nothing else. I've been friends with Phana for as long as I could remember but not once had he ever shown any sort of extraordinary prowess at all.

But just as I suspected, Pha had saw right through my facade and kept whining like a hopeless child. I thought he didn't care about winning in the first place?!? Why did he care now?!?!?!

I tried my absolute hardest to block his voice out so I wouldn't get annoyed by him and his irritating antics. I just wish that Kit would stop himself from smacking Pha in the head if he went overboard.

----------

The next day, of course, after our endless classes we still went with Phana to the practice hall. But unfortunately, there had been trouble with the main coordinator so everyone had to wait for him to arrive because he was tasked by the school board to overlook the practice session and without his presence, they couldn't start. What a hassle.

After we had decided to just forget about our pending workload and assignments that day, Kit, me and the rest of the competing moons had gathered in one corner and talked for a bit as they waited. After spending a few days and witnessing their struggles in between rehearsals, me and Kit had grown close to them despite not being Moons ourselves. Sure, I liked being girls most of the time but I had to be honest, they were fun to be with, even if they were guys. Even Pha looked like he was enjoying himself while we conversed with them.

However, I couldn't shake the thought off my mind that someone was missing in the room. That someone wasn't there. I just wasn't sure who. Who is it? But I quickly chased the thought away. I shouldn't be worrying at all.