Chapter 27

Beep. Beep. Beep.

That is the first sound I hear. I try to open my eyes, but I can't. I try to move but I can't, all I can do is wiggle my toes. I try to listen for any other sounds, the sound of another person, or even the sound of bird chirping. As I focus my mind on the sounds in the room, I hear a small thrumming sound, like a drum.

I try to open my eyes, and this time I am successful. All I can see is white, white walls, white door, white bed sheets.

I look to my right and see a man lying asleep in a chair. He seems vaguely familiar, and I try to think of how I know him, but I come back with nothing. I swing my legs off the bed, and slowly stand up on my feet.

Where am I?

At that moment I feel a sharp stinging in my arm, and realise that a drip is in it. I slowly pull it out, and wince when blood starts pouring out of the wound. I ignore it, and focus my mind on finding a way out of this room. I scan the room once again, there is a door, a small window, a chair, a bed and a weird looking machine. Oh, and there is also that random guy.

I go to open the door, and discover that it is locked. Damn, I need to find another way out. I look to the window, and then to the weird machine. I smirk creeps on my face, as a plan formulates in my brain.

Ok so I grab the machine, use it to break the window, jump out of the window, shift into a wolf, and run back home.

I grab the machine, and slowly edge towards the window.

If I break the window with him in the room, he will surely hear it and wake up. And then I won't be able to escape.

I sigh, annoyed by the major flaw in my plan.

Just do it Leah, you don't know how many other opportunities you will get to escape. And even if he does wake up, he isn't a shifter, so he won't be able to catch me.

I once again grab the machine and head towards the window. I slowly lift it above my head, and then close my eyes and through it against the window. The glass shatters, and I hastily jump through the window and run from the building into the forest.

I hear shouts of alarm, and quickly shift into my wolf form. I take off into the trees, running as fast as I can. I yip happily, glad that I have escaped and can go home.

Ha they can't get me now!

But of course, I spoke too soon, and I am tackled to the ground by a large, heavy body. I gasp, losing all the breathe from my lungs, and shift back into my human form. I begin to cry, shaking with fear imagining what these people are going to do to me. I look up at the person who caught me, and find myself looking into a pair of warm brown eyes.

I look around at the others, and their facial expressions seem to suggest that they expect me to remember them. The man holding me reaches out to touch my face, and I whimper in fear. A hurt look crosses his face, and for a moment, I almost feel sorry for him. But then I remember that he is the one who kidnapped me, and the small shred of sympathy I felt for him disappears.

"Leah, it's me," he whispers.

I do not respond, all I do is wriggle in his grasp, trying to somehow escape his hold.

"Leah?" he whispers again.

I still do not respond, and this clearly saddens him. A tall guy with black hair steps forward.

"Man, its fine, we can fix her alright, I'm sure Dr Cul-"

"NO COLE, IT IS NOT FINE! SHE CAN'T REMEMBER ME! AND SHE IS NOT JUST SOME ROBOT THAT YOU CAN FIX! I LOVE HER, AND NOW SHE CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER MY NAME!" he shouts.

I whimper again, confused by his words.

His head abruptly turns to me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell," he says.

"Who are you?" I say after a moment.

"You don't remember, do you," he questions.

I silently shake my head, and that seems to trigger something within him.

He sighs, before getting up off the ground.

"I'm Lucas, but that isn't important right now. Just come back with us and we will explain everything. You look like you need a shower, and a hot meal." He says, holding his hand out to me.

I slowly take his hand, and he abruptly pulls me up on my feet.

We walk back through the forest to the building, where two maids are cleaning up the glass. They throw my a pitiful look, before continuing their work. Lucas places his hand on my back as he guides me towards the entrance, and I shiver. He notices this, but says nothing, and continues leading me towards the door.

We walk through the entrance, passing many people as we go. Eventually we walk into a small room, with a single bed, a small desk and a door leading to a bathroom.

"This is your room. The bathroom is through the door on the right, and the dining room is down the corridor and to the left." Lucas says, before walking out of the door.

"Lucas wait!" I call out, bounding after him.

He turns to look at me.

"Look can you please explain to me what is going on?" I ask.

Lucas sighs. "Leah, I can't explain right now, but I promise you, I will explain everything. Dr Cullen is out of town for a few days but when he retur-"

"Dr Cullen! What does he have to do with this?" I question.

"Never mind, everything will be explained soon. For now, just focus on resting and healing, got it." He says.

"Okay," I sigh defeatedly.

"Get some rest, we have a long day tomorrow," he tells me, while leading me back to my room. He whispers a goodbye, before closing the door.

I stand at the door, thoughts flying in and out of my head by the second. I fall back onto my bed, and pull the covers over my body, recalling all the events of today.

Don't worry, everything will be explained soon, I reassure myself, before drifting off to sleep.