Chapter 28

I sit in the dining hall, slowly eating the food on my plate. Many sympathetic looks are thrown my way, and it is driving me up the wall. I've spent the last two days waiting for some news from Lucas, waiting for someone, anyone to explain what is going on.

I finish my food, throw my fork down on the table and walk out of the dining hall. I'm so sick and tired of waiting around for Lucas, so I decide to go out for a walk. I was told not to leave the compound, but I can't stand another second of this place.

The doors of the building swing open, as I walk out into the sun. The cool breeze rustles the leaves of the trees in the forest, surrounding the building. I breathe in the fresh, crisp morning air, savouring it. Who knows when I'll get to go outside again.

I walk into the forest, running my hand along the passing trees. The forest is the only place I feel truly at home. I can be myself there, when I need to hide my true self everywhere else. I sit down on a tree root which overlooks a river. The water rushes down the river, and I savour the sound. The sun warms my skin, and I close my eyes, as I feel the warmth enveloping me.

The weather has been quite warm this past week. Nothing but sunshine, and a small breeze. I liked it like that, as I couldn't stand the rain. You might find it a bit ironic that I live in one of the rainiest towns in Washington, yet I hate the rain. The only reason I'm living here is because of the pack.

Oh shit, I forgot about the pack. What do I do? Are they worried about me? Or do they not care?

I abruptly jump to my feet, and head back to the campus.

Ok so I need to find a phone. They don't have any around the campus so I'm going to have to steal one from someone. That blonde chick, what's her name, oh who cares. Anyway, I've seen her with a phone, so she is probably the best target.

I make my way towards me room, and am about to enter my room when I hear voices on the inside of the door. I stop, and press my ear against the door, trying to listen on the the conversation.

"Dr, there has to be something you can do," Lucas says. He sounds very stressed, and it stirs something within me.

"I'm sorry Lucas, but this is a very complicated situation. I cannot play around with her mind, it could risk her losing all of her memories." Dr Cullen replies.

"Well what can we do then, is she going to spend the rest of her life not knowing who I am?" Lucas responds, on the verge of exploding with anger.

"Look, she will have to recover her memories on her own, there is nothing I can do," Dr Cullen tells him calmly.

I hear a smash, and I back away from the door as someone opens it. Dr Cullen peeks his head through the door and smirks at me.

"It's rude to listen in on other people's conversations," he tells me, his eyes twinkling with humour.

"Well it's rude to talk about people behind their back. And also, you were in my room, so I guess that makes it ok," I reply jokingly.

Dr Cullen gives me one last smile, before heading down the hall.

Lucas walks out a second later, his hand bleeding profusely.

"What happened to your hand?" I ask.

"Nothing, I was just a little annoyed about something." He replies cooly, as if trying to hide his previous outburst.

He goes to walk down the hall, but I grab his hand before he has the chance. He visibly winces at this, his hand obviously hurting.

"Let me fix up your hand." I tell him.