Mental Illnesses

This chapter contains touchy subjects, so if you're easily offended or might get triggered (please don't use this as a meme) I suggest you skip this one.

Mental illnesses are complicated. They're hard to relate to unless you've experienced them yourself. A popular one that a lot of people write about is depression. Let me tell you this, as someone who has gone through this (no, I am not self-diagnosed, that is awful) I hate it when people portray it as just a "phase" or "trend."

"Ugh, I feel so sad today, I think I'm depressed!"

This is wrong in so many ways. You shouldn't tell everyone you have depression unless you are for sure it's not a one-time thing. In books, nearly all of these characters self-diagnose themselves, and it's revolting. Someone who has depression doesn't burst into a fit of tears at random times, and not everyone is suicidal. You want to portray a character accurately? Depression comes in many forms, but for me, it's most self-doubt and self-pitying.

Edit: I was re-reading this chapter and realized that the original third paragraph (aka the one above) had a line in it that may have come off as offensive. The original was, "You can't say you're depressed unless you've been diagnosed or seen a professional." I understand that it is hard to seek help, and sometimes it can be pricey as well. I was trying to convey the message that you shouldn't announce that you have depression unless you are 100% sure the situation that may have led up to it cannot be resolved, or that you acknowledge it will be long-term and won't go away. I hope you all understand that it was an honest mistake and that I should've reworded it/explained it more thoroughly. Again, I apologize and I hope it makes more sense now. [9-24-18]

"Why should I do this, it's not going to matter anyway."

Depression makes you tired, and that seems to be the only thing that people get right. Do some research, talk to someone who has it (if they're okay with it, of course) and make sure you get your facts straight.

Another thing that people get wrong: PTSD.

PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and oh boy, do people mess this up. I don't have PTSD myself, but I have experienced something similar, although it's much less severe.

PTSD doesn't occur right after a traumatic event. The incident has to sink in before people start to react differently. Also, not everything is traumatizing. If the character lost a loved one in a boat accident, crossing the street isn't going to give them a panic attack. Only certain things will, like if someone was fishing or on a jet ski etc.

Little lesson for you guys today: If a friend or loved one seems to be suffering, please talk to them and show them your support. If you don't know what to do, ask them. Don't leave them in the dark before it's too late to act. Don't Google random methods and attempt them; everyone is different. And if you are in pain, please seek help. There will be people who are willing to help you get through it. Please don't remove yourself from the world, let others show their love and support.

No QOTD today, I'd like to leave the chapter on a hopeful note. x