Possessive Love Interests

What's with the whole possessive/dominant male SO or "alpha"? Like, is this a kink? A lot of werewolf books include the tough, dominant leader of the pack, who also happens to be the main love interest. Not to forget the rich CEO that falls in love with an intern but is always following or stalking her. This isn't sexy, it's disgusting. I rarely see any dominant ladies in stories, but I don't want to see controlling partners in general. Taking a hold of a person, forcing them to do what you say or keeping a close eye on someone is not love, it's abuse.

It's terrible enough, but what makes it worse is that some MC's are okay with their SO treating them like absolute garbage. Really? You're going to let someone control your entire life, and be okay with it? I can't express enough how messed up that is. Do these author's realize how offensive this might be to some readers? Some readers might have been in a controlling, abusive relationship, only for you to go and romanticize it in book. I don't care how good the plot is or how compelling the words are, once I see a hint of possession in one of the characters, I'm leaving that book immediately.

◊ ◊ ◊

QOTD: Favorite book genre? Mine would have to be poetry or contemporary.