Baby, me like yuh

The huge training hall was almost empty, one lone figure punching away at a well padded dummy in the middle of the room. The dull thwacking sounds that each blow made felt oddly satisfying to the lone trainee, resonating through the echoing hall and floating up to the rafters high above.

Step, step - thud thud. Jump back lightly then repeat. The boy concentrated on his form, keeping his core steady, his feet in line. His teacher Yoongi's stern voice in his mind reminded him of the things he had to work on. Keep the arm straight as you punch, but not locked in place. That will make the shock reverberate through your whole body. When you jab, aim for the chin. Short powerful jabs, not soft pushes - keep your elbows in and your guard up, idiot! How many times do I have to tell you?

Step step - thud thud. Pause. Step step, thud thud. Jump back. Repeat. Step step, thud thud. Pause. Step step, thud crunch- The figure cursed and doubled up, clutching at his hand. A flood of cuss words and muttered curses mixed in with pained hisses escaped the boy as he slowly straightened up and examined his hurt hand. It was nothing serious, he noted with relief, shaking the sore limb out with apprehension. He'd missed the padded chest and face of the human sized dummy and hit the wooden pole instead - his knuckles were bruised and bleeding lightly but thankfully not broken.

He sighed. Rummaging in the pocket of his sweatpants, he drew out his stele and drew a small iratze on his bicep. He hissed lightly as the rune burned - he wasn't too used to the process of marking himself with runes just yet. Still, his arms already bore many more marks than they had just a few weeks before - now, the runes for strength and agility, endurance and equilibrium trailed deep black trails up and down his arms, alongside many more. Sighing again, he tossed his stele down on the thick mat near the wall, stretching tiredly. It was 2 in the morning and he still couldn't sleep, so he'd ended up here, working out his frustration by practicing his moves again and again. That week's lessons were all about physical combat, which was why he was learning all about how to punch and jab, kick, duck and roll, block and evade.

"Jungkookie, what're you do- doing up?" yawned a sleepy voice from behind him. Surprised, he turned to see a bleary-eyed Jimin, rubbing his eyes with an adorably tiny fist. His other hand was covered by the sleeves of his oversized shirt and he had a soft warm blanket draped around his shoulders.

"I couldn't sleep," he confessed sheepishly. "Why are you up, hyung?"

"Bad dream," murmured Jimin with a pout. "I was gonna go to Yoongi hyung's room but I got thirsty so I went to get a drink first." He stifled another yawn behind his hand before continuing. "The light was on here so I came to see who was training at this time of night."

"Oh," Jungkook grinned, waggling his eyebrows. "So you were going to Yoongi hyung's room, huh?" Jimin scowled and snapped his wrist, whipping the blanket at Jungkook like a lash. Jungkook laughed and dodged easily. The two boys' brand new relationship had been outed to the the whole Institute the day before when Taehyung and Sungjae had walked in on the two of them kissing. The pair had then proceeded to scream as loudly as they could (which was, indeed, super fucking loud, according to one annoyed Min Yoongi) and had brought the rest of the crew running, believing the Institute was somehow, impossibly, under attack.

"Brat," Jimin muttered, but his fond tone made it clear he wasn't really all that mad at the younger. Wrapping the blanket securely around himself once again, he hid another yawn behind his hand. "So you're not gonna go sleep?" he asked, worried about his dongsaeng.

"I guess I'll have to eventually," Jungkook sighed, "but I just can't sleep. Too many thoughts."

"Oh," was the only answer he got, Jimin already halfway to falling asleep on his feet.