Chapter 5

"Katy! Dylan's here!" my mom called up the stairs. I took a look in the mirror to make sure I looked okay. I was wearing light colored skinny jeans and a thin, dark blue, pink, and cream striped sweater. I kept my hair in its fishtail braid from earlier today but added an elegant gold colored headband with pink flowers on the side to match my shirt. I kept my makeup simple with some light mascara and pink lip gloss. Not to sound conceited, but I looked gorgeous.

I grabbed my phone and tucked it into my back pocket before rushing down the stairs. Everyone was waiting in the Living Room. When Dylan saw me, he smiled immediately and stood up. I grinned and gave him a hug. "Hey, you ready?" he asked me. "Yeah." I nodded. "Be home by midnight!" Tristan gave Dylan a look. "Of course." Dylan said and then led me towards the door.

He opened the passenger door for me. "Thank you." I climbed inside, blushing. He's such a gentleman. He shut the door behind me and got in the drivers seat. "You look stunning by the way." he said as he pulled out of the driveway. "You don't look too bad yourself." I said aloud, eying his red and blue plaid shirt which he left unbuttoned with a plain white shirt underneath, making his chuckle at me.

"Have you been to the carnival at night?" he asked me, obviously noticing the setting sun.

"No, but I'm sure it's gorgeous." I looked out the window, admiring the color of the sky.

"It is."

He parked his truck in the huge parking lot which wasn't too full and told me to wait in the car, so I did. Once again, he opened the door for me, but this time he grabbed my hand and helped me out.

"Why are you such a gentleman?" I noticed that he didn't let go of my hand, but instead  intertwined our fingers. I didn't object.

"I was raised that way I guess." he answered. "You hungry?"

We had just approached all of the different carnival foods and I was already eying the cotton candy. Hesitantly, I admitted that I wanted some and looked up at him. "You got it." and he marched right over to the candy stand, without letting my hand go, and bought a huge bag of cotton candy. When I let go of his hand, I felt cold all over. "Dylan, you realize you're going to have to help me eat this right?" I said before stuffing the cotton candy into my mouth. "No problem." He grinned at me and we began to walk toward the rides and games.

"Let's go on a roller coaster!" I said, pointing to one. "You sure you're tall enough to get on, shorty?" he teased. I laughed. "Are you sure you're not too chicken?" I challenged, grinning. He laughed as we walked toward the roller coaster together, him still holding the now half full bag of cotton candy. He paid the guy who ushered us inside. "This was a terrible idea." I said as they strapped us in. Dylan chuckled and intertwined our fingers again.

"That was terrible." I buried my face in Dylan's shoulder as we walked through the exit. "Who's chicken now?" he teased, making me slap his arm playfully, laughing. "That was terrible! How were you just laughing the whole time?" I asked him. "Because you were squeezing all of the circulation out of my hand." he answered, and I laughed again. "Okay, maybe I am the chicken, but I bet I could beat you at any of these games." I told him. It was him that laughed this time. So he looked around and guess what he picked. The one where you have to throw a ball and hit the cans.

"Except this one." I changed my mind when we approached it. "You made the bet, not me." He winked and motioned for me to go first. The first ball wasn't even close, the second one bounced off the back wall and knocked down one, and the third knocked all except one down. I groaned and stepped back as Dylan literally knocked all of them down in two shots.

I folded my arms and pouted. "You get to pick a bear." The lady told us, motioning to the wall behind her. I looked at my date, waiting for him to answer.  "Go ahead gorgeous, pick one." He gave my hand a squeeze and smiled. "Oh! Okay, umm... I would like... the orange bear right there." I pointed to it. The lady took it down and handed it to me. "Thank you." I smiled as I hugged the giant, orange teddy bear to my chest.

"We have to name her." I told Dylan as we walked away. "Hmm." He thought for a moment. "Sonny." he said suddenly. "Sonny?" I wondered what gave him the idea. "When we were driving here, the sun was setting. The sky was a pretty orange color." he explained. "Sonny."  I nodded. "I like it."

We had played games for what seemed like a short time, but was really two whole hours before I realized that we hadn't gotten on the Farris Wheel. "I just like the view. Being so high up that you can see all of the lights of the carnival." Dylan told me. He was carrying Sonny now. We got on the Farris Wheel and let the guy belt us into our seats. Soon enough, we were slowly going higher and higher up.

"Wow." was all I could say as everything came into view. We stared around in awe for a while until I felt him looking at me. I tore my eyes away from the lights in the distance to turned towards him instead. "What?" I asked softly.

"The lights." he whispered, "They make your eyes look green."

I gazed at him, seeing my reflection in his brown eyes. Without thinking, I lifted my hand up and ran my thumb over his perfect, pink lips. He placed a hand over mine and held it there as he closed his eyes and inhaled. Then, he opened his eyes and looked into mine again. He began to lean in and my heart stopped. Was he going to kiss me? I leaned in too, letting my eyes flutter closed. His lips lingered on mine, and then finally pressed gently against them. Fireworks, bombs, and everything else exploded between us. After a moment, I felt him smile against my lips and then press his forehead to mine.

This couldn't get any more perfect.
______

This is probably the cheesiest, most cliche chapter ever, but I kinda like it.