Chapter Eight: Mysterious Beanie

Minerva Ashton was my biggest enemy, the biggest bitch alive, and the official female version of the devil himself.

Legally though, she was my sister-in-law.

From seventh grade until my senior year of college, Minerva had been my number one competitor. I could guarantee that every nerd had that one Minerva Ashton in their life. The asshole who always made everything impossible, just to win.

Win what?

Obviously, I never knew. I was only aware that all hell would break loose whenever I happened to get a better test score or get a certain grade. I spent most of my school years skipping grades with Minerva trailing right behind me.   

You could imagine my joy when I found out that I would be related to her. Yet, it was true, the slut managed to snag my only brother during our senior year of college. I never even saw it coming.

 There was time when my brother was considered my best friend. He was the only guy who I would go to with all of my problems and the perfect older brother who took me out for ice cream when I was feeling down. He wasn't the slightest embarrassed that his twelve year old sister was a freshman at the same high school he went to, even if he was considered the most popular junior in school. You could imagine my shock when Minerva, an even nerdier girl than me, managed to marry a guy like my brother.  

I thought I would never have to see her fugly face ever again when I threw my graduation cap in the air victoriously.

 Seeing her at our family reunion, announcing her engagement to my brother, was something of a downer.

He did always have a soft side for the socially awkward

Taking a full glass of ice water to the motherloving face when I confronted her about being with my brother?

Yeah, that was another low in my life.

The bitch had threatened and accused me behind the rose bushes of my Aunt Mary's house, minutes after the announcement. She pointed her skinny fingers at my chest the entire time, promising me that I would never steal my brother from her.

I was in complete shock during the whole thing. I didn't even have my wits to put the bitch in her place.

Six months later, after she could call herself Mrs. Fenster, I never talked to my brother again.

When I finally had the chance to chat with him for a few minutes our whole relationship had changed.

Now the sibling wrecker waved her arms from across the room trying to get my attention.

Ready to ruin yet another thing in my life.

I could see it now, Minerva realizing that I had a better job than her current housewife position.

Minerva opening her big fat mouth to my parents, finding a way to get me fired, and taking my eighty grand away.

I would not let that happen.

What the hell was she even doing in Paris? Was my brother around?

Hope took over me as I scanned the room for a tall guy with dark brown hair the same shade as mine.

Nope, he was nowhere in sight.

I turned to Amanda, the only person still milling around the magazine stand before our flight took off.

I hated asking people for favors, even the friendly ones, which Amanda was beginning to be. But I had to do something and fast.

"Hey, do you think you could get everyone on the jet? We're running a little late on schedule and I have to...get this...thing for Joshua..." I needed to work on my lying skills when I was under pressure.