Chapter Thirty-Nine: Done Fighting

It's always awkward to show up uninvited to people's houses.

Knocking on Joshua's old home and having the door opened by his mother, who had no clue who the hell I was, defined the word awkward. The house was a small one story building, which surprisingly wasn't hard to find with a little help from my good friend Google.

Seriously, anyone could find your house these days.  I smoothed out my pencil skirt with my sweaty palms where I stood. I tried not to notice that Joshua's mom had just looked me over and had the most confused look on her face.

I remembered why I always wore the crappiest clothes when I traveled, because then I wouldn't be cursing the wrinkles on my actual clothes. I hadn't had time to change after the plane arrived, which meant that I decided to dress up on the plane.

 Changing in a plane bathroom was real hell. I actually missed riding in the jet when I struggled to put on my damn shoes in a three foot compartment.

I cleared my throat dramatically and finally got the courage to extend a hand out in the air.

"Hello, my name is Lilly Fenster!" I declared with my cheeriest voice. Shit, my voice sounded as if I had sucked all the helium out of a balloon. I definitely had to relax.

"Bom dia." The older woman said, shaking my hand wearily. That's when it really hit me.

"You don't speak English." I stated more to myself then her.

" perdão?" His mother said, clearly not understanding a word I was saying.

"Well, this makes things about a hundred time more difficult." I stated again out loud. I don't know why I developed the tendency to talk to myself in front of the woman, but I was doing it an awful lot.

I kept getting a blank stare, and I wondered why the woman was even holding the door open up to this point. If someone had come to my house talking Portuguese I would have slammed the door already. Not that I really had my own house these days. I racked my brain trying to figure out a way to communicate.

"Um, I know your son, Joshua?" I tried to tell her slowly. Jesus, I hoped she didn't think I was mentally challenged or something.

"Joshua? você sabe o meu filho?" The woman said. She had a soft voice, which was also kind. In any other situation I would have felt comfortable with the woman, if it weren't for the fact that I couldn't understand her.

I was really running out of alternatives. I was about to give up, seeing as there seemed to be no choice left.

"You know my brother?" I heard the question from somewhere inside the house.

The question belonged to the girl, who stepped out from behind Joshua's mom. I hadn't even noticed her there, until she spoke up. Luckily, she obviously spoke English. I immediately knew it was Lana when I saw her. She was possibly the most beautiful twelve year old I've ever seen.