Chapter Twenty-Nine: Like Lilly

The car ride couldn't be any more awkward. No one was talking and the ride seemed to drag on for ages. You would have thought that we were going back to the states with how much we drove. My entire body jumped when Robert leaned in and whispered in my ear. I tried to keep the look of disgust off of my face while he spoke.

"You look like you just sucked on a lemon." Robert informed me. I tried to not cringe and lean in the opposite direction. Relaxing my face turned out to be even more difficult when Robert draped a thick and heavy arm around me. My shoulders were practically cracking from the exertion. How the hell was this considered comfortable? The only thing comfortable was Roberts arm.

Again, he leaned into me to whisper in my ear, "This won't work if you practically have a seizure every time I get close to you." Robert tried to coach me as the ride continued on. I made the mistake of making eye contact with Joshua.

He and Gola were sitting in the seats in front of us and I met his gaze through the reflection of the mirror. He looked absolutely pissed at me. It wasn't even a look of hurt, it was absolute fury. My hands started to get clammy when I realized that maybe the plan wouldn't work. What if Joshua hated me after this?

All of my thoughts evaporated when I saw Gola's blonde head rest on Joshua's shoulder. All rational thought left me as I threw out a huge maniacal laugh the moment that her head made contact with his shoulder. It was loud, awkward, and obviously fake, but it had the exact effect that I had wanted. Gola's head snapped back up and both she and Joshua turned around to stare at me. At that point even the driver was looking at me as if I was mentally challenged through one of the mirrors.

Robert looked completely confused until he caught on to what I had been trying to stop. "You're so funny, Robert!" I turned towards Robert, who had leaned into himself to laugh at my expense

. I continued to laugh crazily, occasionally slapping Robert in the arm for laughing at me. The laughing came to an abrupt stop, leaving both Joshua and Gola really confused.

We finally made it into some sort of fancy restaurant. Thankfully the paparazzi weren't waiting for us the moment that we got out.

 I made the mistake of slapping Roberts arm when he came over to grab my hand again, and Gola saw the action. Her eyes narrowed into perfect little slits, accentuated by her eye liner.  Yup, she was officially on to us.

We ended up sitting on some incredibly high table. Robert and Joshua had no trouble sitting down and even Gola had an advantage with her six inch heels. I was stuck in my pair of flats and about a mile of chair leg to go over.

 I made the effort anyway, but my right foot ended up slipping and I tumbled down for the briefest second. The hand on my waist sent tingles through my body and I just knew that Joshua had leaned in to catch me.

"What are you doing?" He whispered in my ear. I had no time to answer, because at that moment Robert came over and pulled me out of Joshua's arms.

"Whoa there, Beautiful. You haven't even had a drink yet!" Robert joked. I rolled my eyes discretely at his lame ass attempt at being cute and finally situated myself in the seat. I was completely taken back when Gola started to laugh.

Instead of the high pitched fake laugh I had heard before, a really rich laugh escaped her lips. I found the fact that Gola actually found Robert's cheesy joke funny. A waiter shortly came and asked to take our orders.

Even though I had technically been drunk twice in my life, I still didn't have a clue about liquor. What the hell was I supposed to order? The other three people with me had no trouble choosing something from the small menu we had been handed. I totally spaced out, just thinking about how socially challenged I really was when the waiter finally turned to get my order.