Chapter 10: Unexpected Riders

Throughout the whole walk, Lyra led the way in silence. Kylian tried to make conversation, but it was obvious she wasn't feeling it right now.

"Let's just find whatever this orb is taking us to and get out of here," she mumbled, feeling anxious.

"Hey Lyra," he said softly, taking her by the arm. "Is everything alright?"

She didn't look at him and hesitated with her answer. Why does he want to know? Lyra thought.

"It's just my brother," she finally revealed. "I've never left him before."

"Don't worry," Kylian assured. "He's in good hands. I've never met Elliot's father before, but he seems like a good man. He took care of Adri and now Elliot will look out for you two."

She nodded and relaxed a little before continuing on. Lyra could see Kylian was itching to talk, so she sighed and started talking.

"My dad died when I was a little kid and just after Mom gave birth to my brother. I was 7 at the time. Soon after, she was diagnosed with MS and became handicapped. Her immune system was very weak and only a year after she died from pneumonia. My brother was mostly taken care of by the owners of the shelter we lived in since my father died. It was closed 5 years after because it could no longer be supported. I was 13 and my brother was 6 when we started living on the streets. The only way I could afford food was to steal. I was even able to buy a tent soon enough and that was how we lived. 4 years have passed and here we are."

"I'm sorry for your losses," Kylian started. "But I admire your strength and how much you obviously care for your brother. And you opened up to me! You really are a tsundere!"

She rolled her eyes and elbowed him. "Quit saying that!"

"Aww are you blushing?" he asked, going back to his usual playful attitude. He took her hand as she gasped and pulled back, hitting him on the shoulder.

Their playful tactics were continued until they were stopped in front of a beautiful waterfall cascading down a series of cliffs, which was next to a pier.

"Woah," Lyra breathed, taking in the scenery. It looked even more enchanting than the cave.

"This must be where Demetrios entered from," Kylian commented. There was a sudden rustle and both of them turned their heads towards the brush nearby, but saw nothing.

Lyra stepped forward to investigate. She saw a something silver flash from behind the brush and almost let out a scream when something flew over her.

Kylian would've started laughing at Lyra'a awestruck face if his jaw hadn't dropped either when four huge dragons started circling them and landed gracefully on the ground, surrounding them.

All of them were a different color, but had similar structures. They all were beautiful and majestic, but both of them knew not to get too close.

"I thought they all disappeared," Lyra stuttered, locking eyes with the gentle creatures. They didn't make a sound, just observed the two teens.

"Guys!" Kylian called, not knowing what to do. He had never encountered anything like this and had no idea how to get himself out of this situation.

"What's wrong?" a voice asked. They heard the shuffling of feet as Adri and Elliot came into view. They halted their run when they both saw the dragons as well.

"What do I do?" Kylian asked. "They're surrounding us."

"What does that even mean?" Lyra asked. However, they were ignored while Adri and Elliot had a staredown.

"Hey!" Lyra called sharply, snapping her fingers. "You guys are the dragon experts."

"Right right," Elliot murmured, taking his eyes off the creatures for the first time. "It just means they're trying to see if you're a threat or not."

"Great. So if they decided we are then they can just swoop in and tear us to pieces," Lyra said sarcastically while Kylian snorted.

"They won't kill you," Adri assured. "Just stay still. Keep eye contact and slowly move away."

"I thought eye contact meant you want to challenge them," Lyra murmured, but following the directions nevertheless.

"Hello," Adri cooed, her attention towards an emerald green dragon. Adri knew that she got her attention and smiled when the dragon started coming towards her.

Lyra and Kylian were almost out of the circle of dragons when a loud scream pierced their ears and the dragon focused on Adri let out a strange noise that sounded like a cross between roar and a neigh.

"Great," Kylian grumbled, pulling Lyra towards their friends. Of course Holden would be the one to yell.

"Hey oh so mighty warrior!" Lyra shrieked. "Quit scaring them!"

"Not helping Lyra," Kylian said, but the dragons had settled after her sharp remark.

Lilith felt a tingle between her fingertips and almost fainted when she first stumbled into the clearing. Now a sky blue colored dragon hadn't stopped eyeing her and frankly, she was starting to get freaked out.

"Adri! Why is he following me?" she asked, backing away while the dragon just stepped forward each time.

Adri was trying to answer all the questions that were shouted at her, but her thoughts were jumbled while she was wondering the same thing about this green one. Looking around, she noticed that each dragon had an eye on one of them besides Kylian and Lyra.

Hello Rider, a voice said in her mind. And that was when Adri figured it out.

"We...we're riders!" she cried out. This was the last thing she expected finding out during this quest. Elliot, Holden, and Lilith all stared at her like she grew an extra head.

"Just reach out, touch them, and try to communicate if you can," Adri instructed, reaching out to stroke the muzzle of her own dragon.

"Hello," she said sweetly. "My name is Adri."

I am Cielo, the dragon said in her head. After so long, I finally found my rider.