Chapter 18: Captured

Following the main path into the forest, the two girls chatted amongst themselves, not even seeing the man hiding in the bushes who was waiting for them.

A branch snapped and they both stopped, looking around.

"For some reason, this reminds me of a horror movie before the two girls get killed," Lyra joked.

"Don't even kid about that," Lilith shivered, looking around. Lyra just shrugged it off and kept walking.

For a moment, she didn't hear Lilith's footsteps and turned around to call out for her. Lyra looked around in confusion. She couldn't see her.

"Lilith?" she called. "Where are you? This isn't even funny."

She turned back around only to feel something sharp and heavy hit her head, before she passed out.

*********************

Lyra was the first to wake up and found herself sitting in a chair and tied up. This really is just like a horror story, she thought humorlessly.

"At least one of you is up," a familiar voice said sarcastically. She looked over to see Lycan walking over to come hover over her.

"Really? Was there a need?" Lyra asked bitterly. "I'm not even apart of this."

"Well now you are. I don't care if you're a rider or not. All six of you are in my way," he sneered. As he stepped back Lyra could get a clearer picture of him. He now had blue bangs that actually made him look more goth than evil. His blue eyes were now a much cloudier shade, which definitely made him look creepier. He was in some kind of jumpsuit with a blue cape.

"You look dumb," she told him bluntly. Lycan looked like he wanted to hit her for that comment, but Lyra held no fear in her eyes and he decided against it.

"Wake up," he replied instead, shaking the other girl in her chair. Lilith's eyes opened immediately, taking in her surroundings.

"Where are we?" she asked, looking around the room which seemed to be a large ballroom.

"Easy. You're in my castle," he responded. "Do you know how many years it took to finish building this? I had to tax all those stupid rich peasants and even then they ran out of money."

"Of course you're the one responsible for the increasing amount of homeless citizens in your town," Lyra spat.

"Lyra. He could easily kill us," Lilith whispered. "You might want to keep your comments to yourself."

"Lilith. He doesn't scare me one bit. I have faced death multiple times because of my poor lifestyle. However, I am livid at him."

"Well I don't want to get killed yet so tone it down," Lilith countered.

"At least she's wise enough to shut her mouth," Lycan grumbled. "Anyway, now I have to wait for your stupid friends to come try and save you."

"First of all, they don't even know we are," Lyra responded. "So your plan's a little flawed."

"But I know Demetrios can figure it out easily," Lycan sighed. "And I already know that you 'saved' him, but that potion won't be worn off by the time I take over with my army."

Is he going to be one of those cliche villains who tell his prisoners his plans? Lilith wondered.

"What army?" Lyra asked. "There's no person who'd follow you in conquering their own town."

"Who said I needed people?" he asked, cracking a grin. Whistling, Lyra and Lilith both heard a huge rumble before dragons started coming in from the huge doors built on the side of the room.

"How?" Lyra breathed. "Almost all of the dragons were killed."

"And that's where your wrong again. Only the dragons with riders were killed because they would be the ones to defy me. These ones are under a spell to follow my every command. I have my powerful army and now I can't be conquered."

"Why now?" Lilith asked. "Why are you attacking when we're here?"

"Because you all led me straight to the last dragons that have riders," he smiled. "And now I have no one who can overpower me."

"Well where's Jacques?" Lyra asked. "I'm sure that he has as much power as you."

"Him?" he laughed, making Lilith confused and Lyra roll her eyes. "Don't you realize? There never was a Jacques."

Picking up a book similar to the one they found in his home, Lycan chanted a few words and picked up a cup filled with a substance none of the girls could place.

He dramk it and they watched in surprise as he morphed into the small and plump man Lilith and Lyra had both seen in the library.

"And now I have to go find a way for this to wear off sooner," he said in a different voice before turning his heels to leave, slamming one of the door shut.

"I think you forgot something!" Lyra called, knowing that she wouldn't be heard. Now they were just sitting in front of an army of black dragons that seemed to be frozen.

"Uhhhh," Lilith murmured. "Hello?"

None of the dragons made a move. They were in some kind of trance. Their black scales seemed to symbolize how they were being controlled. None of them had a rider or just hadn't found theirs yet.

"Well this is great," Lyra muttered. "Now we're being guarded by malicious dragons as well that I'm sure if we escaped would come for our heads."

"This is going to make figuring out an escape plan harder," Lilith added, slumping in her chair.