Chapter 19: Escapade

It had been about 4 hours now and Lilith had actually fallen asleep. The potion was wearing off fast and she grew seriously weak. Lilith knew that her dragon had to be somewhere in the castle, but without direct contact it didn't matter.

"Lilith," Lyra whispered, "Are you awake?"

The other girl opened her eyes and looked around to see that they were in the exact same place as before.

"Yeah Lyra," she answered. "Did you want to talk?"

"I mean what better time to talk about feelings when you're kidnapped in an evil warlock's castle," she shrugged.

"Feelings...as in yours and Kylian's? I saw them a long time ago," Lilith replied. "You should tell him."

"He doesn't feel the same."

"Are you kidding me? That boy liked you before you even allowed him to talk to you."

"How? I was terrible to him," Lyra sighed.

"And he's never taken that seriously because Kylian knew that's not who you truly were."

There was an awkward silence after that comment, which Lyra broke by asking, "What about you and Holden? What are you?"

"I am a girl who just doesn't want the relationship to change between us. Especially if he doesn't feel the same. It's always been a complicated friendship. It's always been more of a 'taking care of each other' kind of thing."

Lilith rambled on, but Lyra wasn't listening anymore. She could've sworn she saw a movement among the army of dragons, which have not moved.

"Lyra? Are you even paying attention?" Lilith asked.

"That dragon just looked at me," Lyra whispered as dilated black eyes rested on her blue ones.

"That's not possible," Lilith stammered. "They're under a spell."

But Lyra hadn't heard that either. Her eyes were on the dragon that was now surrounded by glittering sparks. And right before her eyes, the ink black beast became a beautiful deep blue color. It shook its head before eyeing Lyra and dashing right up to her.

I found you, she said delightfully.

"Uhhh," Lyra responded out loud. "Why can I hear you?"

"The dragon can speak to you? Lyra, you're its rider!" Lilith exclaimed excitedly.

Lyra couldn't even believe her ears. A simple thief like her was a rider to this magnificent creature?!

"How'd you even get out of that?" Lyra asked. "You aren't part of the army anymore!"

No petty spell can defeat the bond that ties a rider to its dragon, she responded.

"Right...Well I'm Lyra and I have a huge favor to ask. Do you think you could maybe untie us?"

"Lyra," Lilith groaned, rolling her eyes. "You don't need to speak to her like she owns you. You're its commander."

I'm Acqua, she greeted, easily ripping the ropes with her claws.

"Alright...Now what do we do?" Lyra whispered to Lilith.

"We go find the other dragons and get the heck out of here!"

"Right right. What?" she asked, seeing Lilith's amused look. "I'm not good at this hero thing. Remember, a thief?"

"Yeah. Oh I just realized, you still have Kylian's watch on."

"Never took it off," Lyra grinned. "Well let's go!"

Lilith felt the pull of her bond from outside, where all three dashed through the huge doors to see Lycan casting a some sort of spell on the four dragons that were held by leather collars connected to chains.

"And how are we supposed to stop him?" Lyra asked.

Your powers.

"What powers?"

Just hold your hand up. Close it firmly in a fist, relax, and open it.

Repeating the motion, Lyra almost shouted in surprise when a jet of water shot right out of her hand.

"Alright now we have a plan," Lilith said. "Shoot that water directly at his face."

"Wait what?!"

Lyra fumbled with her hands and did as she was told, distracting Lycan from his spell. He sneered at them and threw his hand at Lilith, preparing to spell her.

But that didn't stop Lyra from aiming it at his mouth, successfully making him gurgle and stop. Lilith had touched her dragon and was fully recharged, charging right at him.

"Alright I'm going to have to step in now right?" Lyra asked, turning to Acqua. It seemed like her own dragon was rolling her eyes. Lyra stifled her own sarcastic remark before running straight for him, knocking him off his feet with a wave of water.

This made an easy chance for Acqua to rescue the other dragons by tearing the leather collars with her teeth.

"Army!" Lycan struggled to shout. The dragons that had been in the same position since they had gotten captured suddenly turned at Lycan's voice and saw the intruders.

"Oh no!" Lyra screeched. They were coming right towards them!

Hold on! her dragon shouted. They both let go of Lycan as Acqua swooped down and made Lyra trip on her feet. She landed on the dragon's back and quickly put a death grip on her neck.

Lilith's own dragon had caught her as well and all of them flew high into the sky.

"They're still following us!" Lyra hollered, turning her head around.

"I guess Lycan wants a battle in town," Lilith shouted back.

"Bring it on!"