Chapter 2

A small part of me was disappointed when I didn’t see Alex in the diner all day. I tried to shook the thoughts away but by then, I was practically scowling at even the tiniet thing that went wrong. Rita also noticed my crappy mood. As soon as I left the diner after 9, it started raining. In normal circumstances, I loved the rain. I always had. Especially when my parents fought each other becuase then their shouting was drowned in the music of the rain. But that day, it was different. I was annoyed at myself to why I didn’t bring umbrella with me. This was probably the hardest part in being a person who wanted so badly to belive in fairy tales. That they shatter with a deeper cut when things don’t get as hoped.  It takes time to heal back and start hoping of a new way of making things the way you want. Getting up with a new spirit is harder than it looks. You have to counter your own thoughts and question the facts around you to give yourself a false hope. Life was trying it's best to make me doubt hapy endings as well. Like today - My mind was begining to inform me that I was in a bad mood because Alex didn’t show up. He wasn’t supposed to show up. He didn’t promise me. I didn’t even know his last name. I slashed out the train of my useless thoughts and went out in the pouring rain.

After about two minutes of walk, I felt a presence beside me holding an umbrella over me. My heart jumped up when I sensed the same fragrance as yesterday. I was folding my arms around me and staring at the pavement while walking.

“Took you long enough, huh?” I spoke.

“May I assume for the peace of my heart that someone has been hoping for me to appear?” I looked at him and smiled at his query.

“Just for the peace of your heart, you may.” I said and started strolling again.

“Why didn’t you bring an umbrella? The weather forecast clearly said it would be pouring today.” He asked me. His hand still clutched to the umbrella over us.

“I didn’t watch it.” I said quietly.

“Ah! I was expecting you’d say you wanted me to be your knight in the shinning armor.” I laughed at him.

“Don’t get your hopes too high.” I said looking at his messy hair. He was wearing a white dress shirt with black formal tie and a black coat over that. He looked as if he just got out of an official business meeting. As soon as I realized that I was caught staring, I looked away.

“You don’t watch the news, huh? Finally something that a normal girl would do! So what do you watch then? Vampire diaries? Glee? Desperate house wives?” He had a smile in his voice.

“Did you ever wonder why I wasn’t too dramatic? Or uninformed? Or not too into fashion?” I asked instead.

“I wouldn’t lie. I did keep wondering about that last night. Why is that again?” A heart beat missed when I heard him say that he had been thinking of me but I wasn’t going to assume anything before time. False hope was wrong for me in this case. I can't afford any more band aids on my heart.

“I don’t have TV. No TV, no watching dramas, TV shows and news – hence, I’m less drama than usual.” I explained. It reminded me of my parents when they split up. They left only a small bed and a bookcase for me; taking possession of everything else. They didn't think their daughter could need more than that. They split up every thing in the tiny box that I call home. Every thing except a human being they produced.

“You don’t have a TV?” He halted in surprise.

“Too hard to believe?” I asked still looking st the stones under my feet.

“In this century, probably yeah but it’s you we’re talking about. That’s why I’d make an exception.” He winked at me. I tried to grin but instead my teeth clattered. I hugged myself a little more tightly.

“Hold this umbrella, would you?” He asked me and I did hold it for him. I had to keep it uphold in order to keep him under it. He was more heightened than I was. He took off his coat and put it around my shoulders. My cheeks burned as his fingers lightly touched my shoulders. Then he asked for the umbrella and I handed him back. It was probably the nicest thing a man had done to her.

“Thank you but I am wondering something.” I said.

“Yeah?” He said.

“You think with a girl like me, this clique movie scene would work?” I asked referring to him handing over his coat to me. He smacked his forehead with the free hand.

“Darn it! I almost forgot you weren’t a movie-girl.” I laughed at his acting.

“Do you hate the rain?” He asked me.

“No, I love it usually. I walk in it sometimes.” I told him.

“So that no one can see you crying?” He suggested and I chuckled.

“That was Charlie Chaplin’s quote, I guess. You watch way too much TV, young man.” I told him.

“I was only trying to impress. I guess it didn’t work.” He shrugged. My heart beat skipped again at his words.

“Why on earth would you want to do that? My son might not like that.” I said seriously and he stopped walking at once.

“You have a son?” He whispered. I couldn’t control my laugh anymore. His face was worth a watch.

“You got me.” He grinned at me. We walked quietly for a few minutes. It was flattering to know that he was feeling bad when he knew I was married.

“I like walking in the rain because it makes me feel as if all of my worries would wash away with it.” I spoke. I think he might be thinking I am crazy by now. Why did I tell him how I felt about rain? Why was I letting him into my mind? The logical part of me was trying to quarrel with my heart.

“Does it work?” He asked seriously. I nodded.

“Most of the times, yes.” He suddenly looked thoughtful.

“I’d try it.” He said.

I saw my feet approaching near my house. I felt bad. I wanted those walks to last longer. I think the distance between my home and the diner somehow decreased in these two days.

“Thanks for the coat.” I handed him the coat.

“Wouldn’t you invite me in?” He asked with a mischievous smile in his face.

“Didn’t I tell you I’m not the girl with a one night stand?” I spoke half seriously.

“Geez! Can you get anymore bid headed? I wanted to dry off and have a cup of hot coffee. But I guess someone is assuming the wrong things.” He said sadly.

“No, please. I apologize. You can come in if you want to.” I panicked. He suddenly smiled and I mentally kicked myself for falling for that joke.

“I’d love to but I guess I have to be somewhere. Until next time?” He asked.

“Until next time.” I replied and went inside. Through the window, I looked at him close his umbrella and walk in the rain. He took my advice. I felt so happy. My second night when I had a smile on my face while falling asleep since I was born.