Chapter 6

The next three weeks, Alex walked me home without missing a single day. Sometimes he bought me ice-cream or pizza and shared it with me. What he didn't forget was to bring a rose daily for me. He was funny, charming, smart and he had officially won my heart by then. Though I didn't tell him that. He talked about everything with me except his sad story and family. He said that his parents left him on his own just like mine did. He studied business administration in a nearby college and did a few jobs to manage his college fee. I eventually told him about my parents and how I ended up being a waitress at Sally's.

"Do you like working at Sally's?" He asked one day from me taking me back to my home.

"It helps me a lot but I get customers who treat me like crap at times. But no one else would pay me as much as they do, so I have to deal with it." I told him honestly.

"What would you rather do?" He asked.

"You wouldn't believe it but if I get enough money, I'd open a flower shop." I smiled. He grinned happily.

"I wonder why you'd do that." He asked.

"I think everyone deserves flowers every once in a while." I stated.

"But some deserve it daily." He said and pulled out a rose.

"Thank you. I didn't see that coming." I faked to get surprised.

"You're welcome." He smiled.

I was happy with him. I was in love as well but never dared to speak it out loud. He never once asked for my number or to come over to my home though I invited him a few times. He was a true gentleman. Although sometimes I wished he would do more than just holding my hand. One day, he insisted me to come to his home for dinner. I agreed. Instead of taking me to his home, he walked a block more and stood in front of a flower shop.

"So that's where you buy flowers for me?" I asked.

"Indeed. Would you like to come inside?" He smiled.

"Sure." I smiled back. It was a small yet beautiful shop with different kinds of flowers and bouquets in it.

"I have a present for you." He said and handled me a small box. I took it and removed the ribbon. I thought it would be a piece of jewelry. Instead I found a star key chain.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." I said with a warm smile.

"That's not it. This key comes along with it." He handed a key to me. I raised my brow.

"Mrs. Peterson was the owner of this shop. Her husband passed away a month ago. She started living with her grandchildren in subarban. She wanted to sell it. I bought it. And now it's yours. There is also a helper Jane who works here. You are the boss but she helps." I was speechless. He bought me a flower shop. My mouth was hanging open.

"I couldn't... It's too much... No, it's wrong..." I tried to say something sensible but nothing reasonable came out.

"I'm not taking it back if that's what you're thinking. Just take it, okay? It's getting really awkward for me. Just thank me and that's it." He spoke in one breath. I hugged him tightly. How did I ever find such a considerate person in my life?

"Thank you.." I whispered but didn't let go of him.

"There's one more thing I want to say." He said.

"I hope it's not some other grand present." I asked still clutching him to me. He nervously laughed and pushed me away for a second.

“Eva! Would you do me the honor to go out with me tomorrow? I have something rather important to say.” He was looking everywhere but at me. He looked adorable being nervous like that. I held him in an embrace once again.

"Was that shop a way to make me go out with you?" I asked.

"May be.. maybe not." He said doubtedly.

“Well it worked. I'd love to.” I smiled. He sighed in relief and tried to tease me with his remark.

"I thought you'd never agree. I guess you were just waiting for me to pop the question." I laughed at him, pulled back from him and changed the topic.

“What should I wear for the occasion?” I asked with worry on my face because I didn’t have any pretty clothes.

“I don’t care much about that. Anything casual. But I definitely want you to wear the best smile you have when I see you tomorrow.” I blushed. He came closer to me. I felt puffed and gazed the floor when he touched my cheek. He stroked my cheek with one hand and held my waist lightly with the other. All of my confidence was evaporated by then. My mind was going crazy as I looked at him. He leaned forward and kissed my cheek. My heart did a happy dance in my throat. I smiled at him though I was slightly disappointed that he didn't give me the kiss. Then I shrugged off the thoughts by believing that he might be saving the kiss for our first date.

It was officially THE best nights of my life.