Chapter 5

"Are you kidding me? Have you even listened to John Lennon? His voice is ah-mazing, dude!" Alex cried out.

"He's 'okay'. Enrique's voice is much better." Ben argued back.

"You're definitely kidding me right now. His lyrics usually stink. How can you just defy classics just like that? What about The beatles? Oh- and John Elton's 'your song'? Huh? What about that?" Alex debated excitedly.

"I didn't listen to them. They're ooold." Ben wailed. Alex gasped dramatically.

"You should be sentenced to death." Alex said narrowing his eyes at Ben. I was setting up the table in the mean while smiling at their argument.

"I hate your boyfriend. Look at him accusing me like that." Ben threw his hands in the air dramatically.

"No, you don't hate him. He is not my boyfriend and Alex! Be nice to Ben." I said bringing cake from the fridge clearly ignoring the blush that was trying to creep up to my cheeks. I was setting up the table and roaming from kitchen to dining room as if it was my own home. I was comfortable.

"She's not your girlfriend?" Ben asked with a fake surprise.

"Of course she is. She is in denial." Alex replied slowly but loud enough for me to listen

"How can I be nice to him? He doesn't like John Elton." Alex presented his illogical trouble loudly.

"Why don't you make him listen to him? So that he like him?" I suggested finding spoons and forks in the kitchen cabinets.

"It's not a bad idea." Alex said to himself and ran to his room. When he came back, he was holding an acoustic guitar with him. I was blown out of the water. He played guitar?

"You play guitar?" Ben and I spoke in unison. Alex passed a weird look at us.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" I asked still surprised. Alex grabbed a chair from the dining and adjusted himself in it.

"If I knew you'd be impressed, I would have told you ages ago." He said as if it was a normal thing while adjusting the strings a bit.

"I.. I'm not impressed at all. I'm.. surprised." I said trying to lowering down his ego.

"Sure honey, you're not." Ben and Alex said in agreement. Instead of arguing I decided to shut up.

"Keep telling that to yourself." Ben kept teasing. After a few seconds, the room was filled with the melodious strumming of Alex's guitar. And a minute later a miracle happened. I think I heard God. But Ben insisted it was Alex singing a song and not God. It was John Elton's 'your song' that was echoing in the room with his eyes spotting mine as if he was trying to hypnotize me. We didn't break the eye contact during the whole song. My mind was replying him with each lyric that came out of his mouth.

"And you can tell everybody this is your song" I would. Once I believe it's all real.

"It may be quite simple but now that it's done" Are you kidding me? That's perfect.

"I hope you don't mind" Not at all, Alex. Not at all.

"I hope you don't mind that I put down in words" I think I might be drooling.

"How wonderful life is while you're in the world." I think I might love you.

Ben coughed loudly when the song ended.

"Earth to you both! Wake up." He shouted. I was literally entranced. I started applause.

"You're talented." I said clapping.

After a few minutes, Alex blew the candles and cut the cake. Ben insisted on telling him what he wished for but Alex was persistently ignoring his pleads.