Chapter 9

“Daddy! Mama! You’re back! I was just getting worried about you.” My daughter smiled brightly when we came in through the door. My heart quenched at her words. She was worrying about us and not herself. We hugged her tightly and kissed her forehead.

“Did my love have a good breakfast?” I asked.

“Yes mama. Did you know they brought Sally’s pancakes for me?” She told us excitedly.

“And you ate all of it? Without us?” Her dad exclaimed with sorrow. Estella looked at her dad sheepishly from the long curtain of her lashes.

“Daddy, I was so involved, I just forgot to save some for you.” She presented her logic and we laughed at her. She smiled back.

“You know daddy, I’m so happy today.” Estella took her dad’s huge hand in her small palm.

“If Sally’s pancakes make you so happy, then I’d get it for you every day.” He replied her. She shook her head.

“It’s not that daddy. Yesterday before going to bed, I prayed to God to take away mama’s pain and give it to me.” My eyes brimmed with tears at once. I placed my hands on her lips.

“Love, don’t ever say that.” I whispered.

“But you’re happy now, mama.” She argued.

“Your mama will be happy when you’re happy. It’s a team thing. Isn’t it?” Alex softly spoke to her.

“Okay mama. I love you. I am happy. Don’t ever be sad.” I hugged her but a traitor drop of water still came out of the corner of my eye. I quickly wiped it away and pulled myself back.

“We.. we have to talk to you about something, deary.” Alex took her tiny face in his hand.

“Okay?” She tilted her head in confusion.

“But I don’t want you to get sad or panicked.” He said. She merely nodded.

“You think God loves you?” He asked.

“Of course. Even more than you do.” She said with confident and looked at Alex as if he has gone crazy.

“Do you remember Grandma?”

“Yes, God took her away because she was too good to be a human.” She said and I felt pride rise up in my chest for my little girl.

“The thing is that... you have been wonderful to us and every one. I’m afraid God has started to love you more than everyone in the world.”

“Really?” Her face brightened up as if we’ve told her she’s going to Disney Land.

“Really. There is just one problem.” I told her.

“What’s that?” She curiously asked.

“We received an invitation card yesterday. There’s a ball arranged in your honor in the heaven.” Alex spoke slowly. Estella’s hand flew to her mouth and she gasped in wonder. Alex must have thought of this for a long time. To tell her that she’s leaving us. I felt a depression in Oxygen in the room but stayed there to support my husband.

“Daddy, you’re not kidding?” She asked. Her daddy shook his head.

“A .. real ball? In.. heaven? in my honor? Why?” She asked stuttering with excitement. Her eyes were filled with joy. I wanted to shout right then but I couldn’t bring myself up to sadden those pretty eyes.

“Well, as you said, God sends those people to heaven that are too good to be human.”

“Oh, come on dad. Don’t mess with me. This is a huge moment for me. You’re really not joking?” She looked at her dad with pleading eyes. Her tiny claw clutched the sheets of the bad with anticipation. Only if she knew what was going to happen. Her dad merely took her face and planted a kiss on her fore head.