Chapter 14

I got annoyed at her obliviousness but forgot all the anger and irritation when I saw tears in my Nady’s eyes. She was trying to hide it by letting her long wavy brown hair cover her face but I caught her before. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Since she was born, I wanted to just protect and love her and I was feeling like an ass to hurt her like that. Why the hell can’t she just see how much I care for her? Why is she even dating that Monte whatever guy. I sat next to her on the couch in the tree house we built together. I put an arm around her shoulders but she rejected it and tried to pull away.

“Please don’t cry, Nady. I don’t want to make you cry. Not on your birthday.” I said in remorse.

“What d… wha.. do you care?” she said between the sobs. Why is she so naïve? God! I love her so much. I covered her cheek with my hand and looked at her. I wiped her tears with my thumb and as she realized the close proximity between us, she forgot to cry and became nervous. I could clearly see her cheeks changing the shades of rogue. It reminded me of the day I stole her first kiss. She was so pretty, I couldn’t help it but later on I knew it wasn’t the right thing to do. Though I think she liked it.

“Don’t you know how much I care about you?” I asked her with the lowest tone possible.

“Yes, I know. I’m sorry. I know you’re a good friend.” Her face fell while saying the word. That’s it! I have to say it one time or another. With a finger, I tilted her chin towards me, planted a sweet and slow kiss on her lips.

“Would a friend do this?” She was stunned and shocked.

“Err… Char… umm…” she was stuttering. I chucked at her response.

“I can’t wait for another moment more to tell you.” I said in the same low voice.

“Tell me what?” She lowered the curtain of her hair on her face so that she couldn’t see me. I made her face me again so that I could take a look at her brown orbs.

“That I love you. That I have been in love with you since the first time I held you.” I kissed her forehead.

“Please Char! Don’t play such a prank on me, okay? I’ve feelings for you and I might get very hurt of you keep doing this.” Her voice broke. I knew she had a crush on me but it felt different when she said it out in the open. A minute later, she realized what she just said. She gasped and placed both hands on her mouth. I grinned at her response.

“Well, well, the egoistic Nadia Alexander has feelings for me? I’m so totally -- ” She waited with worry of what I was going to say. She bit her lower lip with her rabbit teeth and her big brown orbs were filled with tears just ready to drop out.

“—honored.” I completed.

“Honored?” She asked as if I were mistaken.

“Yes, honored… And blessed... And lucky.” I declared finally. She looked at me and then closed her eyes tightly.

“Why’d you close your eyes?” I asked. She opened them again and looked at me.

“You’re still here. I was making sure I wasn’t dreaming.” I smiled on her response and she fully smiled back at me for the first time today.

“Oh yeah? Should I make it more real?” I asked with a hint of mischief.

“I don’t know. Can you?” She grinned as in challenging me. Without wasting another moment, I stamped the seal of my love on her pulpy pinks. She laughed when we pulled back.

“One more thing. I forgot to give you a present.” I told her looking for the box in my jacket.

“I thought you’d already given me that.” She flashed her teeth and I returned her smile. I was truly the luckiest person in the world at that moment. As soon as my fingers grip the box, I knelt on my knee in front of her and said,

“Nadia Alexand –” but she cut me off in the middle.

“No!! I’m just graduating next month! No, I mean… I want to but not now. Let me graduate. Please?” she pleaded. Silly girl. Always thinking the weird things. I took her hand and placed it on her lips.

“Of course I’m not marrying you, silly. Just hear me out and don’t interrupt.” She merely nodded sounding confused.

“Nadia Alexander! Would you promise to marry me in the future? It’s a promise ring. I wouldn’t spend so less on the engagement ring, silly. I would’ve gotten a more expensive but dad cut my allowance since I got drunk from Elena’s party…” This time, my nervous babble was interrupted by her hands that flew across my neck.

“Yes!” She whispered in my ear. I knew she’d eventually marry me. At that moment, I was complete. I was blessed. Just like my dear friend Estella thought I would be one day. I knew she was looking out for me, making me happy. I mouthed a thank you to her and to the God who sent her to us.

Nadia broke her embrace and held my hand. The way she held it, I knew she was going to hold it forever because it was in her blood unlike my mother’s to not let go of hands even when things go terribly wrong. And I needed the same kind of girl. After all, she was my angel and savior.