Chapter 12

Two months later, things were getting back to normal. I was handling my flower shop once again. Alex was going back to the Roche’s. We had lunch and dinner together. We went to the movies on Fridays just like old times - except that Estella wasn’t there with us. We also consummated our love every evening. We talked about Estella on our long night walks. In short, we were handling Estella’s death in a better way now.

It was the last day of July when I was feeling gloomier than usual. Alex sensed it and asked me out on a date again. It was weird because we had been married for so long but that romantic spark in Al never ceased. Quite frankly, I was happy that it didn’t. After the dinner in Roche’s that day, we went on a stroll in the nearby park.

“Thinking of Estella’s birthday?” He asked and put his arm around my shoulders. I nodded but looked at the ground. My baby would have been so happy that she’s turning six.

“Don’t worry darling, I’m sure people in heaven would give her a better birthday party than we could ever do.” He kissed my temple and we kept walking. After a minute of silence, I finally spoke,

“Hey, do you think they’d get Estella a real unicorn? She always wanted one.” Alex smiled at me and nodded.

“Then I guess I’m happy because she is. After all, we’re a team.” I smiled. I knew how important it was for Alex to see me happy. He kissed my temple again while walking and said in a low voice,

“Yes, we’re a great team.”

That night, I went to bed with nausea and a weird feeling in my stomach but I guess it was because a part of me was still worried for my angel. I fell asleep pretty soon. Although I was expecting to think of Estella the whole night but I guess I was tired.

 A few hours later that night, I was awakened by a queasy feeling. I had been feeling that way lately. I went to the rest room and threw up. I felt Alex’s arm going around my shoulders.

“Is everything okay?” He asked with a concerned and half sleepy voice. His red eyes showed that he woke up from a deep slumber. I nodded and cleaned myself up.

“Don’t worry. Go to sleep. I think last night; I ate more than I should have.” He shook his head but I was sure he didn’t buy it. With that, I also went to sleep in Alex’s arms.

The next morning, I made pan cakes for Alex and eggs for myself. We sat on the counter to eat. Alex was talking about some new Roche’s branch that he was going to open in the nearby town as it was a busier town than ours. I was appreciating the thought and told him he should go for it. As I was taking probably the fourth bite on the egg, I felt sick and ran to the rest room again to throw up. Alex was right behind me.

“What’s up with you? Are you okay?” Alex looked worried sick.

“I’m alright. I think it was a bad egg or something. Don’t worry, you’re getting late. You must go now. We’d talk about the new branch when you get back, okay?” I said changing the topic.

“I’m not leaving you like this. This is the second time, honey.” He looked terrible with the worry on his face. I washed my mouth and went back to the kitchen with Alex tailing behind me. I felt dizzy as I was sitting on the chair next to the counter. I would’ve fallen down if Alex wouldn’t have caught me on time.

“I’m okay, thanks. You should go to work.” I almost pleaded him I didn’t want him to get worried over a stupid nausea.

“Are you kidding me? We’re going to a doctor. I can’t leave you like this.” He said confidently. It looked as if he wasn’t going to leave my side but he already missed worked two months ago because Estella got sick. I wasn’t going to make him miss it again.