Peter Parker x reader

Being a junior SHIELD agent was hard work. Doubling as a high school student was making it a lot harder. Being on a special task force did make it a lot easier to get in on the action but some days, relaxation is all you wanted.

  You took a breath as you knocked on Peter's door. Being at a high level clearance allowed you to know about Peter doubling as Spiderman. It hurt you that he hadn't told you. But liking both him and his alter ego didn't help your crush on the lovable web-head . Which is why you let it slide.

   Aunt May answered the door. "Oh hi (y/n). Peter told me you'd be coming".

"Hi, May", you said. You had long since given up on calling her anything other than May upon her insistance. She moved away from the door to let you in.

  "Pete's in his room. Feel free to go in"

  "Thanks", you said.

  You walked over to his room and softly cracked on his door. The sight that greeted you put a smile on your face. Peter was cuddled in on himself, asleep. You slipped in and closed the door. Even the small sound jerked Peter awake and he sat up rubbing his eyes.

  "Oh (y/n), you're here"

"Obviously", you said sitting on the edge of his bed. You had your English project due tomorrow and due to Peter's constant rainchecking you hadn't even started. You weren't ready to throw away 15% of your grade.

As Peter went to get all your reading materials you couldn't resist asking a question. You'd been doing that lately. Asking him questions to guilt trip him into telling you about Spiderman.

  "How's your job with Stark"

  "Mr.Stark", he corrected.

"Fanboy", you muttered rolling your eyes.

"It's pretty cool. Mr.Stark's working on some pretty advanced tech and it's really awesome"

You couldn't help but wonder how Peter could still admire Tony so much when he acted like...well Tony. Peter sat next to you with all the books you had to go through.

"This is gonna take all day", you said picking up the first book.

•°•<<time skip>>•°•

"(Y/n)"

"Yes, director Fury"

He never failed to intimidate you every time you had met him.

"Do you know why you're here?",he asked.

"No sir"

"Come on, guess". There was no humour in his voice.

"I'm getting fired?", you asked unsurely.

The laugh he gave out was meant to be easing but all it did was make you tense.

  "Course not. Tell me, are you a good agent"

"Yes?"

  "You ever heard of the avengers?"

Was he? No. You were letting your imagination get the best of you. You nodded.

"How'd you like to be part of them?"

Your jaw dropped. This was your dream come through. You nodded.

"I'm not hearing a yes agent"

"Y..ye..yes. I'd be honored sir"

"Well then rookie, your team is waiting outside".

You considered hugging him as you stood but thought against it. You stepped out of the room unprepared for the sight that greeted you. The avengers and Peter.

•°•<<time skip>>•°•

You were mad. How could you not have known about this with your level of clearance. This slip up may have cost you a friend.

Peter hadn't spoken to you since he saw you walk out of that room. You felt terrible to say the least.

All the avengers could sense the tension between you guys. They weren't very discreet in their conversations from the kitchen.

"Do you think they're dating?"

"Do you think they're old enemies?"

  "Probably old flings"

"Tony, they're in highschool"

"Cap, this isn't the 40's anymore"

"I'm gonna go talk to her"

"Nat, no!"

Natasha emerged from the kitchen and approached you.

"Hey kiddo"

"Hi", you answered back with a sad smile.

She rushed a glance at Peter across the room. "Boy trouble?"

"You have no idea"

"Well, you know the thing about boys?"

You were curious now. "What?"

"Sometimes they're too stupid to take the first step on a relationship so we ladies have to do it ourselves"

"I should go talk to him?"

"I think that's a great idea", she said as she walked back into the kitchen.

"Who knew Widow was a softie",you heard Tony say followed by a thump and an ow.

You sighed as you walked across the room and plopped down on the sofa Peter was seating on.

"Pete?"

"(Y/n)?"

"Are you mad at me?"

"I try but it's not working". You smiled at that.

"I didn't want to hurt you",you said. "I didn't want to have you worrying about me. I didn't want my enemies to be your enemies. I'm guessing that's the same reason you didn't tell me?"

"I care about you, that's why",Peter said. Your breath hitched in your throat. You tried to regain your composure.

"I care about you too Pete. That's why I didn't want you to get hurt"

"Kind of hard to hurt someone with powers",he joked.

"I know what you mean",you smiled. "So you care about me?"

"Of course I do"

"Pete-"

"It's torture listening to you two",Tony said strolling into the room.  "He likes you. You like him. How hard can it be to put two and two together".

"Apparently very hard if you couldn't understand that they were having a private conversation",Clint said.

Your cheeks were aflame. You were starting to think surviving the avengers would not be the walk in the park you pictured it to be