Avengers x child!reader

Dedicated to iamKhrfan123

Steve was nervous. So many little child were around him. They were everywhere he looked and it broke his heart. He wanted to adopt all of them but he know he could. They were just here to see the orphan children. Nothing more.

He spotted you at the back of the room. The chubby 5-year old wrapped up in a blue sweater in a corner. You didn't approach him. You looked up and noticed him staring at you. You promptly averted your gaze.

.....

Tony had been watching you. You were the little girl who hadn't approached any of the avengers. If this was Steve he would have said 'Too shy or too scared?'. But you didn't look either. He started to walk up to you.

You noticed him and wasted no time running out of the room. He turned to look at Steve. He'd watched you leave too. He had on the same look of confusion.

........

You ran as fast as your legs could carry you. You weren't looking where you were going and bumped into someone. You would have fallen if the person hadn't caught you. You looked up into the face of the red haired avengers

Your eyes bugged out of your head. Your breathing quickened. "Hey sweetie, are you okay?".

You were freaking out. "I need to go to the bathroom",you blurted and shot out her grasp. She watched you go. There was definitely something wrong here.

"Nat".

She turned to Tony. "Yeah?"

"Did you see a little girl?"

"Yeah. She ran away like I was holding a bomb".

"Let's find her".

........

You ran into another room and shut the door. You rested your forehead on the door and tried to catch your breath. "Hello, little one".

Your breath hitched and you faced the room. There were three sleeping children on various mats. Thor held another in his arm. He smiled at you.

"You want to sleep too?".

You opened the door and ran out of the room. Why were avengers everywhere?

..........

Outside of the house, you saw a man with a metal arm. You knew he came with the avengers but he wasn't an avenger. You joined him on the bench on the orphanage lawn.

He smiled at you. "Hi"

"Hello"

"Shouldn't you be inside meeting the avengers?".

You didn't answer. Bucky frowned. He decided to try again. "What's your name?".

"(Y/n)"

"That's a pretty name. I'm Bucky".

"Thank you".

"Why don't you want to meet the avengers?".

You looked down at your hands, fumbling with them. "They won't like me".

"Who says?"

"The other kids. They said they won't like me cause I'm fat. I never get to play games cause no one wants me on their team". You wiped your sleeve underneath your eyes.

Bucky's heart broke. Seeing someone your age already battling with insecurities, it was painful. People were cruel, he knew that first hand.

"You're not fat. You're perfect. Doll, you're the cutest little thing I've seen all day".

You mustered a smile. "Thank you Mr. Bucky. But once you leave, everything will be back to normal. They say I'll never be adopted cause no-one wants a fat kid".

He wanted to bundle you up and take you home. Protect you from the cruel world.

"Don't say that, anybody would be lucky to have you".

You reached out your hand and held his metal one. "You're so cool Mr. Bucky. Are you adopting anyone?".

He smiled down at you. "Yes". He didn't have to think about it. He didn't care if the others would let him. He wanted you.

"The kid sure is lucky", you commented offhandedly.

"Yes, you are".

Your eyes widened then you smiled. You hugged him. "Thank you Mr. Bucky. I'll be good I promise".

"Call me dad". He wasn't sure where that came from. But it felt right. He wasn't leaving here without you.

.........

The four avengers stepped out of the orphanage building. There you were, sitting with Bucky. Steve melted just looking at his friend holding you so tenderly.

Bucky turned to look at them and smiled. He picked you up and started to walk toward them. "Hey gang. This is (Y/n)"

"You kept running away from us. Why?". Tony, always the forward man.

"She was shy", Bucky answered. "And worried you guys wouldn't like her"

This revelation made all the avengers find you all the more adorable.
"Now why would she think that?", Nat asked.

"Because no-one wants to hang out with a fat kid",you said. Your statement caused all their eyes to widen. The attention made you bury your head in Bucky's shoulder.

"I'm adopting her. No matter what you guys say".

Steve had never been fixed with the look Bucky gave him. Halfway pleading and halfway daring them to challenge him.

"Well then, let's get the paperwork done", Tony said.

You raised your head to look at them. "We're your family now, little one",Thor said.

Slowly a smile creeped on to your face. "Okay family