Steve x reader

A notorious mercenary was what you lived to be. Hot in the government's blacklist and high on villains and heroes radars alike

You were hard to catch. More like impossible. The only man that would catch you would have to do so with something other than force. And that was exactly what he did.

Steven Grant Rogers- Captain America himself -had captured your heart and in turn you also. Noble to the core, he'd saved you when you were incapacitated. He could've taken you into SHIELD. He should've. But he didn't.

According to Steve, 'It wouldn't be right to take someone in without a fair playing field'. You rolled your eyes at the memory. No one could possibly have a fair fight when their opponent was Captain America.

Funny enough, one way or another you two got to talking. Alot. He should have taken you in but he didn't. You became friends and you developed feelings for the good Captain.

"You've got that look in your eyes again". You shook out of your memories.

"Sorry Steve"

"Where's your mind at?"

"Nowhere in particular"

"Really?",he asked

"Really".

"You can tell me anything ,you know".

"Yeah, I know". You took a deep breath. "I never asked and I've been thinking about this alot".

"Go ahead",Steve said.

"You saved me from getting killed. When you saw me again, you didn't take me in to SHIELD. Why didn't you?"

He smiled. "I saw potential in you. You were a soldier right?"

"Wouldn't be a mercenary if I wasn't"

"There was this nobility about you. A lot of good hiding under a façade of bad stuff. I couldn't just ignore that".

"So you think I can be good?"

"Yes ma'am. I do"

"I know where this conversation  is heading Steve. I've already said no"

"You never told me why",he said.

"I'm not cut out for the avengers. I don't work well with a team. That's also why I left the army. I don't want to be the reason someone gets hurt".

"You won't be"

"How do you know that?"

"It's a gut feeling"

"You never stop trying, do you Rogers?"

"When it's important I don't".

Could Steve get anymore appealing? It was his lovable attitude that made you like him, so far it was working pretty well

•°•<<time skip>>•°•

"Hello, lovely miss (y/n)"

"Hey Sam".

The jovial avenger took a seat beside you. Your eyes were fixed on Steve as he talked to the party goers.

"If you keep looking at him like that, he's gonna figure it out"

"That's if he doesn't already know"

Sam was the only one who'd figured out about your attraction to Steve. When Steve finally convinced you to join, you'd taken a liking to Sam making him your only confidant.

Steve looked in your direction and waved. You waved back with a smile.

  "I'd love to stay and chat (y/n) but the ladies are calling my name"

  "Later, Sam", you said as he walked off.

  The night wore on and you'd only taken a can of beer by the time Steve came to sit with you.

"You're pretty secluded",Steve said.

"Just a bit out of my element". Parties never really were cool with you. The smell of alcohol. The loud music. The flamboyant people. It really wasn't your scene.

  "I'd say it isn't mine either"

"Says you. You've been chatting it up all night".

"Doesn't mean I'm comfortable",he said.

"I wish I could get out of here",I said.

"Why don't we?". Your face held an amused smile. "And what would you suggest?"

"I know this 24 hour restaurant close by. We could have a late dinner".

"Like a date?"

"Only if you want it to be"

"I'd like that very much".

•°•<<time skip>>•°•

"So you guys are dating now?",Sam asked.

"I really don't know. We've gone on a couple dates but nothing is official yet"

"Just wow. Steve's got the slowest process ever".

"You're telling me".

"Maybe he just needs a little boost".

"What do you have in mind?". Sam's smile told you that what you were about to agree to would probably be the dumbest move you could make.

•°•<<time skip>>•°•

"He's staring", Matthew said. You could see Steve staring, more like glaring at you two. Especially Matthew's arm wound around your waist. Sam had told you to pull in the jealousy game and you've told your old friend, Matthew to help you out with it.

You could see Steve heading up to you. He stopped right beside you. "Can I talk to you in private?"

"Sure Steve"

You allowed Steve to take your hand as you stood, unwrapping Matthew's arm from your waist. You walked with Steve out onto the balcony. He ran his hands over his face then looked off into the cluster of stars above.

"I really don't understand you, (y/n)", he said.

  "How so?"

" To be honest, I've never been good with women but I really thought I was doing good with you. I thought you felt the same way I did".

"Well you're not good at showing me that".

"I've been doing the best I can considering things are so different now than back in the 40's. What else do you expect me to do?"

"I need to know where I stand with you Steve. When you keep taking me out without making anything official, it just kind of feels like you're waiting for a better offer to come along"

"You're the amazing woman I've been admiring on end for months. I want to ask you out properly but I get so nervous"

You were taken aback by his statement.

"You should ask Steve. I've been waiting incase you didn't guess"

He gets a far off look in his eyes. "Your friend in there?"

"Is just that. My friend"

"Would you do me the honour of being my girlfriend?"

You smiled up at Captain. "What do you think Steve?"