two

2

Then:

Carina strode down the hall, blonde hair whipping out behind her. She was hell-bent on finding her brother. Spotting the famous Malfoy sneer she herself wore too much, the fifth-year stopped in front of her twin.

"What is the meaning of this?" Carina asked, thrusting a silver snake pin at him.

His eyes met hers for a moment, twinkling playfully. "Whatever do you mean, dearest sister?"

Her gaze was deadly, and while the spectators shrunk from it, Draco knew she would never hurt him. "You know exactly what I mean." She stood on her tiptoes, so her red lips were right by his ear, "It speaks to me. You know not to get me any trinkets involving snakes and dark magic. It's a deadly combination, and the fucking thing won't shut up!"

Draco laughed, taking the pin from her hand. "I'll keep it in my room, okay? Happy?"

Carina nodded curtly, and with a swish of her robes was off. Depositing her books next to her chair, she waited for Professor Umbridge to enter the classroom.

Eyes burning from all of the pink, Carina zoned out, before being snapped back into focus by the professor's grimace-inducing voice.

"Detention for a month, Potter!"

"For what?" The boy looked outraged. Carina would have smiled had she not been curious as to how the Golden Boy had managed to get into trouble.

"For telling lies!"

"But, Professor, Voldemort is back!"

"Two months!" Professor Umbridge spat vehemently.

Carina sighed to herself. Leave it to the Slytherins to get you out of trouble again, Potter?

Carina raised her hand, and Umbridge acknowledged her with a nod.

"Professor, if I may, you're being entirely unfair. Potter can't prove that Voldemort is back, but we can't prove that he's not, either. Therefore Potter is merely stating an opinion. And while us sensible people in the room know that he is being delusional, you can't punish him for stating an opinion, just as you can't punish me for saying that Slytherin is the best house. While the Gryffindors don't agree with this sentiment, they can't punish me for saying it, either. Being able to state ones opinions is a fundamental human right, and taking that right away from Potter would go against Ministry rules. And I'm sure you wouldn't want this information to get back to my father, would you? 'Oh, Daddy, Professor Umbridge is being so mean! She won't let me state my opinions!' So, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, please shut up."

Carina was staring down Umbridge, unblinking. The toad-like woman finally looked away.

"Two days detention, Potter, for not raising your hand."

Carina pursed her lips, satisfied, and went back to her daydream.

After class, the Golden trio approached the blonde girl.

Harry cleared his throat, and she looked up, pale green eyes connecting with his darker ones.

Nervously, he said, "thank you, for um, that, back in the classroom."

Her eyes stared past him, seeing Draco walk out with his posse. "I didn't do it for you, you buffoon," she snapped, walking hurriedly towards her brother.

Now:

Carina,

Thank you for getting into contact with me. I will be waiting outside the Malfoy Manor tomorrow at 2 p.m. to take you to a safe house. No one will hurt you there, I promise.

Regards,

R.J. Lupin