thirty six

36

Then

Carina tossed her hair out, letting the light strands fall down her back. She hadn't gotten a haircut in a while, and it was starting to show. Her hair wasn't brushed, and was frizzing out of control. It would only have taken Carina ten minutes to right it, but she didn't care.

She slipped on her pink jumper, the only pastel thing in her closet, and headed down to breakfast.

Carina felt a tug on her hair, and green eyes looked up to meet her brother's silver ones. "Happy birthday, sister."

"And to you," Carina answered, smiling as Draco took the seat next to her.

"I see you dressed up," came Draco's snarky reply, and Carina happily took the bait, engaging in their usual petty argument.

"Yes, I modeled it after you." Carina said sweetly, batting her eyes at Draco.

"Ha, ha, very funny. You look like that mudblood Granger, sister dearest."

The twinkle in his eye told Carina that he was kidding, but Carina's joyful mood was ruined. "I don't think Granger's that bad to look at."

Draco raised a perfectly styled eyebrow at her. "You're kidding me right now, I know you are. You think she's attractive?"

"More attractive that you," Carina quipped, shrugging off the sting of his words. It was her birthday, goddammit, and she was going to enjoy it. She would wallow in self-pity about her choice in partners later.

Draco laughed, ruffling her already messy hair. "Nice one. Now go put your face on, Mum's taking us to see London today."

"Seriously?" Carina's attention snapped to her brother, trying to tell if he was joking. They never got to explore London's tourist attractions, as mainly Muggles inhabited them.

"It's our present this year," Draco continued, unable to keep the excitement from his tone, "and I don't want to miss it, so go get dressed!"

For once Carina did as he said without an argument, walking quickly up the stairs.

///

Carina stepped onto the London Eye, uncertain how the Muggle technology would hold up. She couldn't mull it over for long, however, as she was immediately drawn to the edge, jaw dropped slightly in amazement. She had flown high before, and being in the air wasn't an unfamiliar feeling, but something about the Eye made it seem new and exciting.

She bit her lip slightly, her hands pressed up against the glass. Draco stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. She wished she could freeze that moment, to stop time and stay in it forever. She and her brother would soon be on opposite sides on the war, and anyone who tried to wrap their arms around her would be cursed without a second thought.

But that moment, that moment was the calm before the storm.

Now

Harry started suddenly, and Carina turned towards him, slightly concerned.

"Oh," she breathed, seeing the ruins of the Potter home. "Come on," she whispered, continuing on, dragging Harry and Hermione after her.

The stood in front of the house for a moment before Harry broke away from the ex-lovers, taking a few steps more. Carina moved to Hermione, leaning her head against the bushy hair. Harry had come out from under the Invisibility Cloak, and as nervous as that made Carina, Harry deserved a few moments without responsibility. She could at least grant him that.

Moments later, Harry turned back, and Hermione reached her hand out from under the Cloak, Harry taking it gratefully.

An old woman came out of the shadows. She was more shuffling than walking, and she beckoned for the trio to follow her, though they were still under the Cloak.

"Are you Bathilda?" Harry asked, and the woman nodded, beckoning them to follow once more.

Carina turned towards Hermione, a questioning look in her eyes, and Hermione shrugged. Carina followed Bathilda then, if tentatively, making sure she covered her tracks.

Bathilda motioned with her head, telling them to entre into her house. The trio obliged warily, and Carina immediately covered her nose. The stench of rotted food hung over the house, along with something vile that Carina couldn't quite place. It was a familiar stench, of that Carina was sure, but it kept eluding her, as if someone had done their best to cover it up.

The house was dark, the only light coming from a single candle, and the entire abode seemed to be covered in a thin layer of dust.

She barely noticed when Harry was led upstairs, mind in a whirl.

The blonde stopped suddenly, realization dawning over her, and a horrified look spreading across her face.

She smelled death.

"Harry's in danger," Carina breathed, lined eyes impossibly wide.

"What?" Hermione asked, looking up from the picture clutched in her hand.

Carina, however, was already heading up the stairs; fears confirmed when she heard Harry let out a scream.

The Slytherin burst through the door to find Nagini, Voldemort's snake, emerging from Bathilda's dead body. She barely registered Hermione coming up behind her, wand already firing curses at the snake.

Carina barely had time to breathe, moving like lightning to Harry, trying to pry Nagini off of him.

Grunting, she managed to throw the creature off him, the two falling back into a shelf. Carina winced in pain, standing quickly, ready for another go.

She wasn't needed however, as Hermione shouted, "Flippendo!"

Nagini flew back out the window of the dark house, Hermione grabbing onto Harry and Carina in turn, apparating them all out of the house.