fifty seven

57

Then

"Now remember, Carina," Narcissa told her gently, "you can't only rely on your wand. It is helpful, yes, but you must be able to defend yourself other ways."

"Like what?" Carina asked. "A sword?"

"Precisely!" Narcissa said, pleased.

"I was joking," Carina said with wide eyes, "you don't actually expect me to use a sword, do you?"

"Please, Carina," Narcissa said, and there was an underlying hint of desperation that made Carina listen to her.

"I guess it is good exercise," Carina said with a shrug. "Fine. I'll take one month of lessons, would that please you?"

"Immensely," Narcissa said, obviously relieved. "And in return, I'll tell Lucius you're sick on the night of the next gala."

Carina broke out into a wide grin. "Thanks, mother. I appreciate it."

Now

Carina stayed to the back of the hoard, whispering the Killing Curse whenever she could get one alone.

She had killed a solid dozen when they arrived that their destination, and Narcissa forced her to the front of the group.

Hermione's eyes locked with Carina's from across the field, and Carina's breath caught in her throat.

Hermione was looking at her in disgust.

Hermione thought Carina had actually switched sides.

Carina gave a subtle shake of her head, and relief washed over Hermione's features.

The Gryffindor then joined Ron and Professor McGonagall in yelling at Voldemort, telling him how they'd never surrender, and they'd never kneel.

Not to him.

Neville stepped out of line, then, and Carina's heart was in her throat.

"Harry fought for us," Neville said, not a tremor in his voice. "And we will fight for him."

"Nonsense," Voldemort brushed him aside. "I'll make you a senior Death Eater, how about that?"

"Never," Neville said boldly, the Sword of Gryffindor clutched in his hand.

Nagini slithered towards Neville, and the boy noticed, raising his arm as if to strike.

And Carina was running.

Neville sliced Nagini's head just as Carina knew he would. Voldemort let out a cry of anguish, just as Carina knew he would.

And then Carina was in front of Neville, yelling 'Protego' before anyone else had the chance to think.

A large burst of green light hit the shield, Carina sweating to keep it up.

Luckily for her, Hermione and Ron were loyally firing curses, turning Voldemort's attention off of her.

"Sword me," Carina told Neville.

Neville nodded, handing Carina the sword and pulling out his wand, running back into the heat of battle.

Carina had used a sword before, and while she wasn't the best at it, she was not about to be left defenseless.

Carina sprinted to where Harry last was, dodging curses left and right.

A familiar arm came out of nowhere, pulling Carina under the Cloak.

"Harry," Carina said with a smile. "They took your wand from you, so take mine."

"What will you protect yourself with?" Harry asked.

"I have a sword," Carina brushed his worry off, "now take it. You know you work well with my wand, you've used it before. So take it. End this war, once and for all."

Harry nodded, grabbing the wand in Carina's outstretched hand.

The two moved to the centre of the battlefield, Carina darting out from under the Cloak with one last word of luck.

"Hey!" Harry cried, and the room fell silent.

A smile made its way onto Carina's face.

The war was going to end.

And for the first time since it started, Carina was sure they would win.